Summer Reading List

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

covediver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Snow is melting, its gone off the deck. Geese are coming back. Motorcycles and muscle cars are beginning to appear on the streets, saw my first 'vette of the season this morning. That means summer reading and I just got my easy reading scuba adventure themed shipment from Amazon...

Dourado, David Wood
Rare Gold, Ashton Lackey
Diving Fever, J Scott Kingston
Florida Straits, Tom McKinnon
White Treasure, Jack Punch

None of this is any too taxing, I would call it beach reading but for the lack of beaches in the area. Chaise lounge on the back deck in the Alaska sun will suffice though.

Any other suggestions?

You ever read anything by Eric Douglas? He has three dive adventure novels, Cayman Cowboys, Flooding Hollywood, and Guardian's Keep. I have heard they are a great read, I have yet to find one at any library in Alaska as I live in Soldotna. Hope this helps, GJK

will check it out, thanks for the tip.

Clive Cusslers Dirk Pitt novels are really good light reading. Ill have to check out the books you named off aswell!

A few years ago, my daughter and I both took an advanced writing course at the local college. One evening, the instructor played a recording of a guy talking about summer reading.

He said every good summer reading book should have sharks in it.

:)

(I wish I could find that recording; it was hilarious)

David Poyer wrote some dive novels, don't know if they are all still available anywhere. "Bahamas Blues", "Down to a sunless sea", can't remember the other one I read back 7+ yrs ago.
Clive Cussler always has some diving in his books and they are a fun read.

I tend to read dive books of a more serious nature: "Deep Descent", "Last Dive", "Shadow Divers", "Submerged", "No safe harbor", etc.

Other fun summer books that are related to tropics but not diving that I highly recommend: Troosts books "Getting Stoned with Savages" and "Sex Lives of Cannibals" - both hysterical books about living in the South Pacific and "An Embarrasment of Mangoes" but I can't remember the author for that one, its a fun read about sailing around the Caribbean.

robin:D

I read entirely too much as an English guy. I would recommend The Silent World by Jacques Cousteau. If that book does not compel you to get your gear wet, then in my opinion nothing will.

We have recently read a bunch of books by Randy Wayne White. Most are situated in Florida, especially the Sanibel area, where he has lived for many years and worked as a fishing guide. One or more of the books involves diving. Most are well above average adventure beach novels. White's characters tend to be quite interesting. Sharks are in most of them because his main character, Doc Ford, studies them. There's fair amount of biology inserted along the way. There are 16 of them dating from 1990 to this year. If the books sound appealing, I recommend you start with the first of the series. It's not necessary, but several of the characters evolve over time. Enjoy!

Clive Cussler vote.. read in this order though:
1 : Pacific Vortex! (1983) 2 : Mediterranean Caper, the (1973) 3 : Iceberg (1975) 4 : Raise the Titanic (1976) 5 : Vixen 03 (1978) 6 : Night Probe! (1981) 7 : Deep Six (1983) 8 : Cyclops (1986) 9 : Treasure (1988) 10 : Dragon (1990) 11 : Sahara (1992) 12 : Inca Gold (1994) 13 : Shock Wave (1996) 14 : Flood Tide (1997) 15 : Atlantis Found (1999) 16 : Valhalla Rising (2001) 17 : Trojan Odyssey (2003) 18 : Black Wind (2004) 19 : Treasure of Khan (2006) 20 : Arctic Drift (2008)

Back
Top Bottom