Summer Weather in Coz?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jlyle:
In August, the water temp will be ~84 degrees. The air temp will be ~90 degrees. Humidity will be ~90%. The odd shower or rain storm may blow through once every week or so. It is hurricane season, but there have only been three strikes on the island since 1988, unfortunately, two of them were last year.
When we were there in August last year the water temp was 86, air temp mid 90's Definitely did not need a 3 ml wetsuit

we were in florida diving last august and the water and air temp were both 90 ish. first time i dove in board shorts and rash guard. it was great. you have to drink plenty of water and corona. lol.

I'm going in September. Still that hot through the month? Guess I'll take a 3 mil and a skin.

chickmama:
When we were there in August last year the water temp was 86, air temp mid 90's Definitely did not need a 3 ml wetsuit

This all depends on how many dives you're doing, and your tolerance to cold. I'm ok for a few dives with lighter protection, but I find that after 8-10 dives over the week I'm starting to feel a little chilled. I've started wearing a 3mm and a skin on every dive there, and after a week of heavy diving, including some cenotes (which are in the 70°-75° range), I'm still comfortable. YMMV, but if you're doing very many dives, I'd recommend the 3mm.

It does depend on how many dives a day you are doing. I only did 2 a day and my polartec was plenty. Even in November the polartec was fine but in early March i had to use my 3 ml shortie over the polartec because i did get cold. the water in Novemeber is warmer than in early March thats for sure. It was around 78 in March but around 82 in November. In August it was 85-86. I never notice a thermocycline even on the deaper diver. We did a couple of them at around 130 and it was not any colder than than on the shallow dives.

I was in coz last Early August and the landside temps were too hot for me. During the day the humidity and heat were too much even in the shade. We dove mornings. Took it easy in the afternoon (or dove) and then went out at night. Im going in 2 weeks so we will see what it is like then.

I always dive with a skin and 3 mil shorty in Coz.

Hot and humid...maybe some rain, maybe some Hurricanes but I hope not, I want to go back! I generally go several times in the summer. Both my trips last year got blown out by you know what...maybe I'll make it this year. Have a great time, drink plenty of water and dive, dive, dive!!! Wear rashguards that are easy to wash and hang to dry, they'll also dry fast on your body and keep you from getting burned. Nothing else will air dry there in the summer. It's WAY too humid. I'm changing over from t-shirts, they just get too hot and take way too long to dry. Plus, with the lovely new LOWER weight limit for baggage, I can't take as much stuff. What's a woman to do??? The rashguards are a lot lighter than t-shirts. DARN those airline people! I bought mine at crazyscuba.com. Great choices and prices. Plus I think I still look good enough to dive...you know the rules...#1 Never hold your breath. #2 Always look good. Or was it the other way around...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom