Summersville West Virginia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FIXXERVI6

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Is there a web site that displays the current temp and vis of the lake? I want to dive there in the next couple of weeks but I'm worried about all the rain the area is getting.

Viz will differ from day to day, mostly depending on rain. We have had as good as 20'. It is really good first thing in the morning and goes down hill from there. Especially on the weekends when all the crazy boaters are out.

As far as the temp, we had 81* surface temp and 65* at about 40' back at the end of May (our hoods really helped). But then we were back a week and a half later and the surface temp had dropped 6* due to bad conditions throughout the week. So it's really iffy, but still a beautiful place to dive.

And remember, an outflow reading is taken where the water is being released through the dam, which is at the bottom of the dam (deep water), and Summersville Lake is around 200'-250' deep for the most part. So I imagine the bottom is quite chilly.

You can also get some information from the Army Corp of Engineers, they run the lake. They are also really nice guys if you need to call with any questions. Although they can't help much with viz questions. http://www.lrh-wc.usace.army.mil/wc/sugns.htm

I will be there the Sundays of the 18th and 25th to finish up some training. Maybe some of you can join us??!! :snorkel:

What's surface water temp like the first part of Sept time frame. I would appreciate it if you could check your dive log for that month and see what the temp was for Sept? :wink:

I just want know if should bring my 5mm or 3mm freediving suit

Hey your right they are nice! The women I talk to said they probly won't release untill the weekend after Labor day and usually don't drop the water level only half a foot a day. She told me to check back toward the end of the August when they have set schedule. It may change slightly depending on Summer rainfall the lake will get!

We will be shore diving from the winter boat ramp. We are meeting there at 9am. I will be driving the "Alderson Fire Dept." Suburban. We are working on our "Rescue" cert.

You will want to bring lunch and a lawn chair.

Amy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom