Sunfish are out!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HaoleDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
This may be old news, but I was out at the Metridium fields this afternoon, and we came across 2 or 3 schools of sunfish, with 3-4 fish each time. Most were fairly small, but some looked to be almost 2 feet from tip to tip.

HaoleDiver:
This may be old news, but I was out at the Metridium fields this afternoon, and we came across 2 or 3 schools of sunfish, with 3-4 fish each time. Most were fairly small, but some looked to be almost 2 feet from tip to tip.

I had to stay home this weekend. What a bummer!

We saw 2 of them at North Monestary at about 40 fsw yesterday morning, then saw 3 again in the afternoon at the Breakwall.

Mel

melfox26:
We saw 2 of them at North Monestary at about 40 fsw yesterday morning, then saw 3 again in the afternoon at the Breakwall.

Mel

We did N. Monastery today, its was pristine, clear, calm, but no sunfish there (at least I didnt see any) Saw some impressive invertebrates, including a huge sea-hare.
All in all, today was some of the best diving I've done in Monterey ever.

We saw them at monestery, otters cove, and breakwater over the past 2 days. Easily saw at least 15 of them along the breakwater. The biggest was maybe 2 feet across and they let me get to within a foot or so until i had to blow some bubbles and they took off.

We saw them on the 4th of July in the metridium fields. Me & my buddy are pretty new, and were taken there by a more experienced diver (thanks again!). My buddy thought they were sharks!! Then again, I estimated that they were 5 feet across! (2-3 feet is probably right). Damm newbies.

We were swimming out to the metridium fields, on the surface, and one of the divers I was with started to scream and say there was something coming for her, and we looked over, and saw what I assume was a diver with a DPV's bubbles, because she was right, there was a fast-moving stream of bubbles coming towards her. We were laughing our wetsuits off, and had to yell to remind her that "Sharks don't blow bubbles."

Back
Top Bottom