Sunken Town

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

icechip

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just checking to see if anyone has done a dive at Flagstaff Lake in Carrabasset Valley near Eustis, Maine? Guess a town was submerged there in the late 1940s when the Central Maine Power company redirected a river. Interesting story and some good pictures of the buildings going under. Wonder what is left down there?

The Flooding of Flagstaff - Dead River Area Historical Society

People used to dive in Candlewood lake and Squantz Pond in western Connecticut. It also had flooded towns. When I started diving in the 1980s I would hear stories about some of the building still being intact. Nowadays I don't hear about those any more. Most of the buildings were razed prior to the flooding. But I suppose some of them were missed because of issues like those described in your article. The buildings I heard about were supposedly intact, but the wood had become very spongy. Farm equipment, cars, roads, stone walls, foundations and other objects are still there. Wood can survive for decades in fresh water, however, when exposed to air during drought, will deteriorate quickly. Divers that told me about diving those old building said they kept their locations secret because some people were diving the and vandalizing them with their knives. If you want to find old buildings, you probably could use a sonar fish, if you know someone that owns one.

Having puttered around the bottom of a Connecticut lake on a couple of occasions, visibility is pretty rough. Conditions may have been better 30 years ago before all of the development around the lakes and all the lawn fertilizer that washes into the lake.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom