Sunset house or Divetech?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

... As for shore diving, Divetech has two shore diving locations; Cobalt Coast (right off the pier at the resort) and Lighthouse Point. If and when the wind and breakers make it too difficult to dive at Cobalt, Lighthouse is usually wind and wave free. When my wife and I have stayed at Cobalt Coast, the Divetech staff have gladly transported us to and from Cobalt and Lighthouse any time we wanted to go.
Shore diving is my only concern with Cobalt Coast & DiveTech. When we were there for a week in April 2008 both of their sites were closed for 5 days of the 6 diving days. Shore diving is usually a big part of our dive trips. Sunset House was open for shore diving the whole time. YMMV, and the OP may not even be concerned about shore diving.
I agree that the reefs seem to be better on the northern side.

My wife and I have been diving in Cayman for more than 20 years and this August will mark our 11th consecutive year diving with Divetech. While we've taken the plunge and bought at Lighthouse Point, we still spend a lot of time at Cobalt Coast. Jay and Nancy and the rest of the Divetech staff are terrific. And the dive sites you can get to from Lighthouse and Cobalt Coast are terrific too! Over the years we have several hundred dives with Divetech and we still end up finding new things every year. Can't wait to check out the Kittiwake!

Awesome!! Sounds very exciting, I cant wait. So when in August are you going to be there? We will be there Aug 20th-27th. I want to dive the kittiwake too.

Just make sure you make an advanced reservation with them for the Kittiwake dive. Don't wait until you get there. Ask me how I know... :depressed:

Wow thanks for the heads up! I am going to make my reservation tomorrow.

One other tip...... I stayed at Sunset House last Summer and loved everything about it.....except their tanks. We were told they only had AL72 tanks. Took a few minutes off every dive. This was over a year ago. Don't know if that's changed. I'd go back in a heartbeat, but sure wish they'd at least get some bigger tanks.

One other tip...... I stayed at Sunset House last Summer and loved everything about it.....except their tanks. We were told they only had AL72 tanks. Took a few minutes off every dive. This was over a year ago. Don't know if that's changed. I'd go back in a heartbeat, but sure wish they'd at least get some bigger tanks.
This January on our trip to Sunset House, I asked for 80's.. got 80's. I heard on here somewhere that they were planning to get a lot more 80s. I like the 100's , so I hope they get some of those.

I stayed at Sunset House last Summer and loved everything about it.....except their tanks. We were told they only had AL72 tanks. Took a few minutes off every dive. This was over a year ago. Don't know if that's changed.

That's not only changed, but wasn't even the case a year ago (see my Post #2 above). We were at Sunset House at the end of July last year. AL72's were standard, but (as under water pointed out above) they had some AL80's. They offered them to me for their boat trips for no extra charge. I didn't even have to ask, or tell them that I'm a gas hog. :D

Everybody else in the family got AL72's, and that gave all of us roughly equivalent bottom times.

Shore dives? All the tanks they had set out were AL72's; I didn't even ask whether AL80's were available.

I since read somewhere that they were going to get all new tanks, and that their standard was now going to be AL80's. I can't confirm that.

That's not only changed, but wasn't even the case a year ago (see my Post #2 above). We were at Sunset House at the end of July last year. AL72's were standard, but (as under water pointed out above) they had some AL80's. They offered them to me for their boat trips for no extra charge. I didn't even have to ask, or tell them that I'm a gas hog. :D

Everybody else in the family got AL72's, and that gave all of us roughly equivalent bottom times.

Shore dives? All the tanks they had set out were AL72's; I didn't even ask whether AL80's were available.

I since read somewhere that they were going to get all new tanks, and that their standard was now going to be AL80's. I can't confirm that.

Good to hear! I was told last June (by them) that if I wanted bigger than 72, I had to bring my own.

Back
Top Bottom