Super Grouper

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Merry

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
The broomtail grouper is a protected species. http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/outposts/2010/09/fish-and-game-q-and-a-3.html

After half-a-dozen dives on Hermosa Artificial Reef, I'd just about given up hope of having a close encounter with the huge broomtail groupers that have delighted Margaret, Todd, and Jim.
In past dives, the vis was so poor that I'd only catch a glimpse of the magnificent fish. But on Saturday, I got LUCKY!

On descent, I could clearly see shells on the bottom from ~15 feet. Horizontal vis was easily 30 - 35 feet.
A sharp pang of guilt swept over me, thinking of Phil stuck on the boat while I enjoyed clear, 66 degree water...but guilt dissipated quickly.

The fish bowl was inundated with hundreds of jack mackerel. Four giant sea bass occupied the same spot near the corynactis-covered rebar.
Three were engaged in circling behavior, so I left them alone and hovered patiently above the bowl.

Five minutes later (seriously), a large grouper appeared. It's barely visible behind a screen of mackerel.
broomtail%20amp%20mackerel%20DSC_3303_zps18hn5xyz.jpg

Broomtail%20end%202%20DSC_3328_zpszp1axhnp.jpg

Broomtail%20in%20bowl%201%20DSC_3286_zpshvzgopfk.jpg

By the distinctive pattern of spots, we can tell that this fish is the same spotted broomtail that Margaret Webb and Todd Winner have been shooting.
My strategy was to wait for it to come to me. At one point, I caught it peeking over a piling to check me out.
Although it dropped out of sight when our eyes met, within a minute it came around the piling to get a better look.

Broomtail%20portrait%20DSC_3314_zpsswia4ezq.jpg

Broomtail%20right%20side%20DSC_3315_zpspnlrsanv.jpg

This giant sea bass knows us well.
GSB%209-26-15%20DSC_3283_zps39ewdsa8.jpg

GSB%2036%20DSC_3305_zpsah67ojfa.jpg

Vis was so good that I explored more of the reef. A second fish bowl lies to the east, and to the north there's a large deposit of concrete debris.
A silvery broomtail grouper passed overhead, but didn't settle for a photo.

GSB resting by a lone chunk of concrete.
GSB%20single%20concrete%20b%20DSC_3291_zpswwhy2pcy.jpg

On Sun., Kevin and I dove White Point Rock and Garden Spot, 68 degrees at depth. We can't find nudis anywhere.
Half-moon
Half-moon%20DSC_3396_zpsarfwiapa.jpg

Juvenile sheephead
Juvenile%20sheephead%20DSC_3343_zpslcqhm6mk.jpg

Sargo
Sargo%20DSC_3399_zpsmqgsepas.jpg

Octopus%20cr%20DSC_3419_zpsxshadkvu.jpg

Beautiful shots. I hadn't heard of broom tail grouper before. Looks a lot like the black grouper I've seen in the Caribbean.

"A sharp pang of guilt swept over me, thinking of Phil stuck on the boat while I enjoyed clear, 66 degree water...but guilt dissipated quickly."
Typewriter-throwing.gif:

Awesome! Is it possible this is the big version of the fry I've been trying to ID? I've had no response, sorry to hijack.

It's tough to ID those tiny fry, as they may not completely resemble the adult. It may be easier for someone who's seen a fish species develop into an adult from a juvenile.

There's not much known about broomtail groupers. Taken from Milton Love's book: "Juveniles and young adults live in mangrove forests and other coastal embayments and adults live on rocky bottoms, often near caves and crevices. The small population that existed off Southern California was targeted by commercial fishermen and recreational divers. By the early 21st century, most of the Gulf of California population was gone, the result of overfishing by artisanal commercial fishermen and recreational anglers."

So, like the GBSB, perhaps making a comeback?

"A sharp pang of guilt swept over me, thinking of Phil stuck on the boat while I enjoyed clear, 66 degree water...but guilt dissipated quickly."
Typewriter-throwing.gif:

LOL!

Three were engaged in circling behavior, so I left them alone and hovered patiently above the bowl.
What does circling behavior indicate? (Maybe I should start doing it...)

A comeback would be wonderful. What a privilege it is to experience BIG fish that accept our presence. Nothing like it!

Was in Florida last weekend for the Goliath Grouper aggregation. Same kind of "acceptance" from them, as well. It was nothing short of amazing to "swim with the giants", at arms length with 10 to 20 at a time of 6 to 8 foot/400 to 800 pound beauties !!

What does circling behavior indicate? (Maybe I should start doing it...)

Perhaps Dr. Bill could weigh in on why GSBs circle. We guessed that it might have to do with spawning, and have been seeing 2 or 3 of them circling head to tail.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom