Surfing wet suit vs scuba suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubamorgan

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Thinking about a surfing suit for ease of remov to use the restroom and general getting in and out. We dive 3-5 times a day on trips.
Has anyone used a surfing suit for Caribbean warm water diving during daylight?
What was your experience at depth?
Too cold?
I'm 5'6", 135lbs mostly lean.
For night or deep dives I'll wear my 5mm scuba suit.

In the Caribbean I don't usually even wear a wetsuit, I'm pretty comfortable in just a skinsuit (huge fan of Waterlust...) But I also have a lot of extra padding so YMMV. I wear a 5mm in the FL springs which are 72 degrees year round and that keeps me perfectly cozy.

I imagine the only thing that really matters is the thickness of the neoprene. 3mm should definitely be adequate for the Caribbean IMO.

I am not a woman but have been married to a diving professional (instructor) for 40 years. We men have used a back zip suits (surfing suits) for many years, the same reason as we can't seem to get out of our suits if the zipper is in the front, so back zip is the way to go. I don't think there have been many one piece suits sold that are front zips anymore, at least the Major brands. When it comes to using a suit in the Caribbean, wear one, because when you start getting cold you will be happy to have one on. Unless the water temp is higher that 83 degrees you will be more comfortable in a wetsuit after 30 minutes in the water.

Thinking about a surfing suit for ease of remov to use the restroom and general getting in and out.
I use the men's version of this and I love it. It's super easy to get on and off. To get into it, I zip up the first couple of inches and then step right in. If you want the rest of your legs covered, you can pair it with rashguard/MMA/yoga pants or the thin neoprene pants for paddle boarding.

Back
Top Bottom