@Survivor Man

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do not think the top rated scuba manufacture has anything to do with discovery or les stroud, but rather the dive op rental gear they chose. Stuart Cove has been on many reality shows for their shark dive and the gear is always scuba pro. So I doubt Discovery or Les got any money to sell out as you put it. And it would be perfectly fine for any dealer rep to promote the equipment line they sell. Keep in mind the discovery channel is cable so the cost to go blure out logos on any equipment for the amount of footage they shoot would be very expensive and not woth the cost.

I forgot to add I agree that the programing is 80% garbage to get ratings and 20% good. Sadly a well done program on shark fining would not sell enough advertising to make a profit. I just wish they could reverse the percentages to 80% public education 20% frenzy footage.

I never mentioned a company by name. He had lots of different gear on. That said, I am a walking commercial for ScubaPro.

My grandson and wife both watch Shark Week and it is really affecting their diving. My grandson won't go beyond the kelp line and my wife is continually nervous.

I really wish they had never produced those episodes. Particularly the ones where surfers get eaten.

The close encounters of the bloody kind seem to happen to surfers and folks involved with spear fishing (scuba or free diving). I haven't really looked very hard but I don't recall an encounter between a shark and a diver underwater.

Richard

I thought the same thing about the "tests" they did on a couple of these shows. It was ridiculous for Les to say a frozen chumsicle the size of a human could be used as a stand in for how a shark might attack a person. We watched one of the other new shows last night that was also kind of dull about how sharks behave at night. They took a group of sand tiger sharks in an AQUARIUM that apparently always have the lights on and fed them with the lights on and off. How scientific can that really be when they aren't in their natural environment. They did a lot of tests that really couldn't have been that legitimate on these shows this year. I can't believe they haven't attempted to show that movie about shark fining that came out last year. I guess I thought there was more of a movement towards conservation that could have been just as entertaining and jaw dropping but I guess not.

My grandson and wife both watch Shark Week and it is really affecting their diving. My grandson won't go beyond the kelp line and my wife is continually nervous.

I really wish they had never produced those episodes. Particularly the ones where surfers get eaten.

The close encounters of the bloody kind seem to happen to surfers and folks involved with spear fishing (scuba or free diving). I haven't really looked very hard but I don't recall an encounter between a shark and a diver underwater.

Richard
Ive encounter sharks under water :D
Not the kind of "being attacked" encounter however and it sounds to me like what your grandson is currently doing is the less safe if there where to be agressive sharks.. Staying above them in the water..

Richard

Have a look at these. It's very rare.

It's interesting to see how many people have been attacked by wobbegongs over the years. These guys are usually considered very safe to be around.

World Shark Attack Database: Fatal Shark Attack, Ford 93'

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/files/sharkattacks.pdf

<----just visiting.
Les Shroud is a moron. Thinking that showing us how to eat ant testicles is going to help us survive? We call him "StarverMan". Where is he going to starve this week. Got so mad at watching him walk past so much food and not know what it is that I can't watch it anymore.

Now hes a diver! Was it just me or did anybody see the fine bouyancy control? He never stopped finning up durring the whole shoot! No wonder they had to surface for low air. Jogging is for sidewalks.

This week on Man vs Wild....Bear Grillis will survive in a Canadian Film Studio by eatting Les Shroud....Brought to you by Rolaids!

phhhhhhhhht! :mooner:

<----just visiting.
Les Shroud is a moron. Thinking that showing us how to eat ant testicles is going to help us survive? We call him "StarverMan". Where is he going to starve this week. Got so mad at watching him walk past so much food and not know what it is that I can't watch it anymore.

Now hes a diver! Was it just me or did anybody see the fine bouyancy control? He never stopped finning up durring the whole shoot! No wonder they had to surface for low air. Jogging is for sidewalks.

This week on Man vs Wild....Bear Grillis will survive in a Canadian Film Studio by eatting Les Shroud....Brought to you by Rolaids!

phhhhhhhhht! :mooner:

LOL ... I heard those two were moving to Vegas to start their nightly "Survival School."
As a grand finalle, they are going to eat each other.

Les Stroud,

Ok ... I can't even wait till the Surviving Sharks episode is over. The photo-shopping (ie the purple/blue filter in some frames) and the 12:00 PM sunlight penetrating the surface sold you out on the "night dive" with white sharks as they attacked the chumcicle.

I've actually learned some things from Les on the Survivor Man series. But it looks like he's sold out to Discovery Channel and a top rated scuba mfg. for the footage on Shark Week.

Looking forward to a response from Les!

les stroud + sharkweek = douchebaggery

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom