Suunto Cobra 1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ArtSlp

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've had a Suunto Cobra 1 with air integration, for about 15 years. It worked perfectly, untill my last dive. I use it mainly for its air integration capabilities, since I have another computer. On my last dive, It just shut down while underwater. I restarted it, and shut down again. Everytime I turned it on, I could check my air pressure, but only for a few seconds. Battery is about three months old, and it checks almost full. At home, I have played with it, to see if it happens again, but nothing, works perfectly fine.
Any thoughts, besides changing my computer for a new one?

I've had a Suunto Cobra 1 with air integration, for about 15 years. It worked perfectly, untill my last dive. I use it mainly for its air integration capabilities, since I have another computer. On my last dive, It just shut down while underwater. I restarted it, and shut down again. Everytime I turned it on, I could check my air pressure, but only for a few seconds. Battery is about three months old, and it checks almost full. At home, I have played with it, to see if it happens again, but nothing, works perfectly fine.
Any thoughts, besides changing my computer for a new one?
I would first attempt to clean the water contacts (the two tiny pins protruding out the back), even if they superficially appear clean (after removing the computer from its plastic / rubber case) with some vinegar and an old toothbrush, since those Suunto terminals were notorious for accumulating mineral and other deposits, which could eventually cause malfunctions -- including the one that you just described, as well as entering maddening error modes.

Even the old Suunto Solution, decades ago, had advised the use of pencil erasers to clean their terminals . . .

I would first attempt to clean the water contacts (the two tiny pins protruding out the back), even if they superficially appear clean (after removing the computer from its plastic / rubber case) with some vinegar and an old toothbrush, since those Suunto terminals were notorious for accumulating mineral and other deposits, which could eventually cause malfunctions -- including the one that you just described, as well as entering maddening error modes.

Even the old Suunto Solution, decades ago, had advised the use of pencil erasers to clean their terminals . . .
Thanks, I will try that. I am travelling next week to the coast and have no time to change it for a new one.

Back
Top Bottom