Suunto does not wake up after flat battery.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nippit

New
Reaction score
I have multiple dive computers, all suunto. and in fact all old now :( mosquitos and a vytec air.

Two of my computers have been dry (not diving) and no battery replacement, for 5 years !!!! ok this is not ideal.

few months ago:
I have replaced the battery on the mosquito #1. The computer did not wake up at all. thinking that it may be actually dead, I put it aside. The following day I replaced the battery once more with another fresh one. Then on the second battery replacement the “mosquito 1 woke up and since it is working. Both batteries 3.3V measured before insert.....

-two days ago I replaced the battery for both “Mosquito #2” and Vytec” Both does not wake up!!!!
For VYTEC
- I have replaced the battery with fresh one. Measured 3.3V on the battery. 24 hours later the battery is 2.8V
- I have repeated this once more, with a second fresh battery at 3.3V, 24 hours later 2.8V again.
- Today I have installed the third new battery. There was a brief but non clear light up of the LCD. but no power up.

FOR Mosquito #2
- Similar story as above. I install a fresh battery at 3.27V 24 hours later the battery is at 2.9V
I have repeated this few times since my experience with mosquito #1 was similar.

any one has similar experience with suunto computers not used for a long time?

any suggestions...

NOTE: I did go down and show them to the so called suunto authorized service shop! they can only replace the battery and do a pressure test. that it any thing else the tech has no clue. I have not installed the orings on these yet so i am NOT worried about the water seal yet!.

thanks
nippit

---------- Post added June 27th, 2014 at 09:19 PM ----------

Just an added information.
I found out at least what is draining the battery on the vytec.

the EL backlight is flickering very dim continuously. I assume this is draining the battery. but I don't know how to stop it.

Hi,
I have no answers I'm afraid, just more questions. I haven't used my Suunto D4 for about 3 years and it's not working. I didn't know the battery would be drained when it's not used. How did you check whether the EL backlight is flickering (... and also, what is the EL backlight??).

Hi,
I have no answers I'm afraid, just more questions. I haven't used my Suunto D4 for about 3 years and it's not working. I didn't know the battery would be drained when it's not used. How did you check whether the EL backlight is flickering (... and also, what is the EL backlight??).

I guess it is normal for the battery to die / drain completely after about two years.

for your D4 just replace the battery, as above it tool one day for my mosquito to come back alive....

the EL is the electro luminescent back light. when the computer is in complete dark you can barely see it is flickering. in day light or even under my desk light it is not visable.

I have the same problem. Replaced a fresh battery but my Suunto Mosquito did not wake up. Left the battery in the watch for a few days, it did not wake up either. Any solution?

I took the computer apart, the setup is really very simple. Inspected the computer for obvious damage but found none save for a greenish oxide coat on a chip and its leads. Took a slender tool to remove the oxide layer, reassemble the watch, pop in a new battery and the watch is working again now. Try it and see if it works for you.

Try using a paperclip to short across the battery terminals inside the computer (with no battery fitted) for 30 seconds. That sometimes works as a re-set.

Also make sure you haven't bent the + contact too much when removing the originally battery so that it no longer touches the battery.

Finally, make sure both + and - faces of the battery and the contacts are really clean. It's easy to lube the o ring then accidentally transfer a tiny film of lube to the battery and contacts so that insufficient voltage or no voltage at all flows. A little bit of alcohol will take any stray lube off.

I have one of the original Suunto Cobras, bought in 2004. After not using it for a while I changed the battery and it worked fine for two dives. Then it went crazy during a dive and then no display. A new battery didn't restore it. The new battery was run down in just a few days as measured by a voltmeter. Being an electrical engineer I wondered why and rigged up a way to check the current drain on the battery. It was over 50 milliamps!. No wonder it ran down. I can only surmise that something internal failed and puts a "partial short" on the battery. Anyway, dead computer and Suunto graciously offered to send a new puck for $400. Just slightly less than a whole new one.

This symptom seems to appear quite often in discussions of Suunto.

Back
Top Bottom