Suunto Eon Steel - faulty - not connecting to PC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did have a temporary issue with both my Eon's not connecting to any computer with either lead in any number of permutations.

Basically I'd cleaned the contacts and I suspect the leads hadn't dried. I have early Eon's with the gold gold coloured contact, and I do need to clean them and the contacts on the leads fairly frequently

@JohnnyC DM5 is also used for the deep set up and config, and firmware updates of the Eon not just for dive logs - I personally use Mac dive for my data, but do also back up into DM5

Basically I'd cleaned the contacts and I suspect the leads hadn't dried. I have early Eon's with the gold gold coloured contact, and I do need to clean them and the contacts on the leads fairly frequently

I tried everything to clean either computer contacts and cable contacts, tried a brand new cable,
i used paper, alcohol, pencil eraser, an d finally 1000 grit sanding paper, no success at all, interface is dead.
No computer will recognize that something is connected to the USB port.

When he start to sty on and drain the battery then i clean the EON's contacts with a kitchen sponge and then dry the contacts after every day of diving the EON Steel will at least switch off after some minutes.
Te other odd thing of the EON is that he will loose all memory (date/time, screen setup, etc) so all has to programmed again :(

Chris

I tried everything to clean either computer contacts and cable contacts, tried a brand new cable,
i used paper, alcohol, pencil eraser, an d finally 1000 grit sanding paper, no success at all, interface is dead.
No computer will recognize that something is connected to the USB port.

When he start to sty on and drain the battery then i clean the EON's contacts with a kitchen sponge and then dry the contacts after every day of diving the EON Steel will at least switch off after some minutes.
Te other odd thing of the EON is that he will loose all memory (date/time, screen setup, etc) so all has to programmed again :(

Big vendors have a front line of support... humans... whose job is to stick to the checklist and weed out the simple and the stupid cases. About the only way to get past them, in your case, is to keep insisting "no I only used Suunto cables", "no I only used Suunto charger" etc. until they give up and escalate the case. Once you're "escalated" to the next tier, you usually get to talk to someone who has a clue. Good luck with that.

I also can’t help wondering what the symptoms and possible damage would be if the computer were connected before the terminals were dry.

Short across the contacts, maybe some corrosion on them. If computer end has data pins in the middle, between the power pins, there could be some corrosion on them too. I.e. if you have a short at the contacts, the current flows through the short: least resistance. It won't go into delicate licktronic insides.

You'd have to short the ground to one data wire and the +5V: to the other, and plug that in, for it to affect the data path. Which is doable, of course, but if that's your goal you should do it with mains voltage too instead of +5V: it's the only way to be sure.

I think: I'm sure Murphy has some creative ways of frying usb ports I haven't seen yet.

Different problems

If the EON is staying on, then it's generally the water sensor. Now I hate teh water sensor and see no need, but obviously a lot of divers are too incompetent to check their computer before they spash.

The water sensor is the little round circle on the side of the computer. If you dive in salt water it can, even if you wash it, get a minute surface build up of minerals. It is so sensitive that with just humidity it will cause the minerals on the sensor to stay moist which is enough to keep the EON switched on. I live in the Middle East which is, in the summer, subject to very high levels of humidity and together with higher than normal salt content in the water, conspire to cause this issue.

To alleviate it, you need to physically dry the sensor, and then frequently clean it. I use a tooth brush and hot soapy water to do so.

The charging and data contacts have nothing to do with the computer staying on.

I have tried to persuade Suunto to put a software hard sleep function (press a button and the computer goes to shallow sleep) so far no luck

Have the same problem. It has been charged by the same PC with DM5 for its 2 years of life.
Now it will charge from the PC, but usb is not recognized for communication, by either DM5 or Suunto Link.
A Suunto 9 Baro watch works on the same original cable with out any problems.
Charged before a dive - 3 hours later, dead.

Have the same problem. It has been charged by the same PC with DM5 for its 2 years of life.
Now it will charge from the PC, but usb is not recognized for communication, by either DM5 or Suunto Link.
A Suunto 9 Baro watch works on the same original cable with out any problems.
Charged before a dive - 3 hours later, dead.
Talked with Suunto
Then I removed all related to Suunto in Windows 10 remove Apps.
Installed DM5 as admin and pluged in the EON. Then the EON sync started in DM5.
AND now DM5 shows my dives back to my old Vyper an Vytec, also J
Then I installed the Suunto Link – and it worked, too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom