Suunto Gekko - Dive Download ????

Discussion in 'Computers, Gauges, Watches and Analyzers' started by CIBDiving, Mar 10, 2006.

1. CIBDiving

CIBDiving Manta Ray

How many have the Suunto Gekko? How many are tired of Suunto telling you you can't download profiles from a Gekko? Well You can! The data is in there the SDM just won't get it out.

Here's a program that enables the Gekko for downloading! The only change it makes is to fool the SDM into thinking it's talking to a Vyper. You can switch back and forth if it bothers you to have a AC/DC computer on you ;)

http://home.gci.net/~liquidimagephoto/Other Free Stuff/Gekko2vyper.zip

2. rainman_02

rainman_02 Divemaster Candidate

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Dude, that is awesome!

*Edit* -- Worked with my Gekko and my Suunto serial cable (using a USB/serial adapter).

3. CIBDiving

CIBDiving Manta Ray

Thanks! Glad you liked it.
    and Thanks for the feedback as to the interface used! it's greatly appriecated.

I'm not sure yet, but it looks like All or Most of the features of the Vyper are in the Gekko, Suunto has just disabled the use of them by prohibiting the setting of those features from the outside. For example, by direct memory writes, I can set the Gekko into "Gauge Mode", I can set a different sample time - all the options the vyper has. I don't know if they work, however, I borrowed this Gekko and I promised not to dive it, that way I didn't have to pay the rental.

One major difference between the Gekko and the vyper - once you download the data, the dive computer clears all profiles!!!! You only get one shot at it. I'm also not sure at this time if the 'streched' settings stay after the computers goes to sleep and you restart it.
    It may be nessesary to run the download enabler each time you want a download.

4. rainman_02

I own a Gekko (backup) and Vytec (primary). I'll hopefully be diving this weekend, so if you have any more code that you want tested out, I'd be happy to put it in "Gauge" mode and throw it in my pocket on the dives.

*Edit* -- My Gekko still displays all the dives I downloaded to my PC in its built-in "logbook" feature.

5. rainman_02

6. CIBDiving

CIBDiving Manta Ray

RainMan if you go to the same download address
    and instead get this file "Project1.exe" you can set the geko's mode and light time.

Don't worry about what does and doesn't work and you will have to play with the "comm delay" a little to get it to work, It's a much more primitive test program than the others.

7. rainman_02

It looks like it kicked into gauge mode. I don't think the light set routine will work...I didn't think the Gekko had a backlight. I know it has a phosphorescent display that you can charge with a dive light.

I'll dive this as soon as I can, and I'd be willing to do other testing, too.

8. rainman_02

Also, it stays in gauge mode even after it goes to "sleep." I'll see if it will stay in gauge mode after turning off completely, but I suspect it will.

9. rainman_02

I got in the water with it today, just for a nice snorkle around Tumon Bay, but I did find a 7' deep area to put the Gekko down on the sand. I left it there for a few minutes in the "gauge mode." It behaved just like it was in "air mode."

10. CIBDiving

CIBDiving Manta Ray

As in it supplied 'nodeco' times ect.? oh well, you can't have everything - I guess you'll just have to be happy with profiles out of it. I would like to try setting a different sample rate into one and see what happens.

Thanks for checking for me.

11. Atticus

Atticus Scuba Instructor

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Too bad about no gauge mode - for use as a bottom timer that's pretty essential if you want to do multiple dives. Other than that what a rocking little computer! :)

If anyone is able to go a little further and get gauge mode working I'd be grateful if you'd let me know.

12. CIBDiving

CIBDiving Manta Ray

Well, I haven't given up - YET! But the owner of the LDS is getting a little miffed at me for turning all his gekkos into vipers :) Recently, I've been putting his company name into them for the 'personal data', so he's a little more understanding. He still wants me to 'rent' them if I dive them though.

13. CMAN

CMAN Barracuda

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    I have a Geko and would like to be able to download it to my computer but I am pretty new at this computer stuff. I have no idea what a "SDM" is ? or what you mean by having a ac/dc computer ?

14. CIBDiving

CIBDiving Manta Ray

The Ac/dc computer is a joke.

"SDM" stands for 'Suunto Dive Manager' - it's suunto's dive log software. Suunto has left the download capability out of the Geeko but only in the SDM. The computer itself has an interface port and stores the profile data, just like all the other models do. You just can't read it out with the SDM is all. That's about to change, A couple of third party divelogs are going to support direct suunto downloads ( currently most just 'import' of the data after it's been downloaded with suunto's software ). Because they don't use suunto's software they WILL download from gekkos. If you wish to use suunto's software AND download a Gekko, you must fool the software into thinking it's talking to something other than a gekko.

I have a small program that does just that. It makes the gekko report to the SDM that it's a vyper. It 'Fools' the SDM into downloading it's data. It's also a completely safe thing and it's reversable.

http://home.gci.net/~liquidimagephoto/Other Free Stuff/Gekko2vyper.zip

15. Black Dog

Black Dog Angel Fish

Where can you get a connection cable.
    What is it, a usb port connection?
    Thanks

16. CIBDiving

CIBDiving Manta Ray

The Gekko uses the same interface cable as the Cobra/Viper/Vytec. It's available in RS232 or USB, either from suunto or third party or DIY.

17. rainman_02

CIB,

I'm happy to dive my Gekko to test out code you've got. And, I might be volunteering my Gekko for a little bit of risk here, but you could probably convince me to lend you my Gekko for extended testing up there in AK.

18. deepandcold

deepandcold Garibaldi

Hello!
    I'm new around here and my english is probably not the best, but I'll try:

The gekko2vyper tool didn't work with my USB/Serial Adapter. After using a "normal" COM-Port it worked.
    After this I transfered the dives to my PC using SDM 2.3.

GREAT! :D

Well, I don't think so! The transfer was complete, but I can still see all the data on the Gekko itself.

19. deepandcold

deepandcold Garibaldi

addendum:

I just used another PC and was able to transfer all the dives again.

20. CIBDiving

CIBDiving Manta Ray

The problem with clearing the memory was solved in a later version of the API.
    I had a buffer overrun error that 'lost' a byte of information causeing the DC to loose the stored data. The buggy program was, I'm Glad to say, never released, I found the error on the build before I posted it.

I would like to know more about the problem with useing a USB to rs232 adapter. What (if any) errors were reported? Exactly when did it fail? ect.