suunto helo 2 question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

blacksambellamy

Contributor
Reaction score
Im advanced nitrox certified and was thinking of buying the suunto helo 2. I was thinking that i could better plan my dives with this computer and software. Any thoughts?

I dont believe i will ever get into trimix. Is this more computer than i need?

The HelO2 does not do any on board planning - you do it all via the dive manager software:

Suunto DM4 - Suunto

I personally did not find the software to be all that great.

I would suggest looking at V-Planner:

V-Planner VPM & VPM-B & VPMB & VPM-B/E dive decompression software

If you like Suunto which makes a nice computer the Vyper Air would be a decent choice but doing a simulation is pain.

Personally I moved over to a Shearwater Petrel

The Suunto desktop software does the planning portion of the dives and gasses very IMO. I used a Helo2 when I first started tech diving and it works very well. However, there is a couple of downsides to the Suunto implementation. The very first is that the RGBM model is extremely conservative even in P -2 mode & RGBM @50%, you will be in the water "forever"!!! Guys on the same dive would be out the 10-15min before me. That's a lot of extra deco gas. The second thing was that I could not match the RGBM plans to VPM-B and I was typically the only diver in the group with RGBM. Thus I ended up diving the Helo in gauge mode as BT and use VPM-B generated slates as the dive plan. The Helo also does not have a LED/OLED "always-on" display. The Helo2 display is also very small and info like dive time is not well presented. You will immediately understand what I mean the moment you dive Shearwater.

I was lucky to sell my Helo2 at a good price and used those fund to buy a Shearwater Predator (VPM-B enabled). I also now have the Petrel and IMO you cant make a mistake with any Shearwater product. They are fantastic, reliable, accurate, configurable and the only tool you will ever need. They also have on-board dive planners that also calc gas required for the planned dive.

I would NOT buy the Helo2 and only recommend the Shearwater for tech diving. Do not waste your money. Learn from the mistakes other have made before you. The Suunto computers are great OW devices and will surely keep you safe, but they are not the right tool for tec stuff, it has to many shortfalls.

If you are planning on just staying with Adv. Nitrox, the Vyper Air would serve you best. I agree, the Suunto products are extremely conservative. If you plan to eventually go Trimix, the Shearwater would be the be the better bet.

Recommend you go onto the Yorkshire Diver's Board and search for the HELO2 review done there under the computer tab. Its the best review I've seen on the Helo2. It addresses very well the conservative issue.

I would suggest the Shearwater Petrel or the Liquivision Xeo instead. Both run standard Buhlmann GF which is more likely to match up with other tech computers or desktop planning software. The Xeo also has a full version of RGBM available, instead of the Suunto proprietary implementation. As mentioned, the Petrel can run VPM-B too.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom