Suunto SME and SME/ML DIY battery change

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you look carefully at the black plastic edging above the batteries, you will note a + and a - above the batteries, this should let you know which side goes where. Thats the case for the Australian model anyway. Good liuck.
Regards - ND

Oh, and by the way if you ever find anyone with a spare LCD display for an SME ML please let me know, I managed to break mine whild changing the batteries a while ago.

The space for the batteries was marked + and - on the one I just repaired, can't remember the order though, but they were not facing the same way.
I guessed this was the only way to open up the case but until DK posted his message I was reluctant to try it.
Cheers
:cool2:

Just to rub salt in the wound, Quentin

I held mine in the plastic movable plastic jaws of my work mate bench and removed the bezel with an oil filter fabric strap wrench from my tool box.

Also found the 357 bats on a £1:00 multi bubble pod card I already had.

Worked a treat in Malta last two weeks when the straps on my old Microbrain broke.

:cool2:

I have been out of diving for several years with Job, kids, masters degree and house. We are celebrating our anniverary going to Curacuo in May. I fired up my SME-ML and the battery is low it was last replaced 12 years ago! I went to the local shop where my wife and I will do a refresher course before our trip and found out that these are no longer being serviced.

I have min mounted in a consol and was going to bring the consol on our trip. When trying to remove the unit the consol split in two! so I am looking for a wrist strap.

My last resort will be to try to make one. But I wanted to thank you for the post and hope that someone out there has a spare wrist mount.

Anyone know what the thread type os on the four holes on the back I think I could attach a plastic plate with screws if I cant find a mount.

Thanks

Chris aka coralhound

Last edited:
The back of the SME-ML takes size #4-40 screws. I took 2 layers of 1/16" plastic to make the strap channel. 2 strips on either side and the outer layer over the whole back. I'm thinking about modifying the outer layer to make it two strips also - mounted at right angles. That way there is a little curve to the back.

Attachments

• 100_0573[1].jpg
    100_0573[1].jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 210
  • 100_0572[1].jpg
    100_0572[1].jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 225
Nice job,

thanks for the pictures. I was able to find a replacement boot on Ebay and then bought two more units on the used market. One had the original wrist mount.

What wrist strap did you use?

Hi everybody there,

what should the sme-ml display after placing fresh cells? Mine displays funny changings in current depth up to 72 m. :no: After it reached some 50m for the first time, it shows "ERR" right in the middle. Every once in a while it jumps back to 000, then the randy spook is comming again. In addition, the "BAT" sign ist showing up.

Is there any procedure to do for starting it at 0 m depth for the first time? Or does it look like the depth-sensor ist damaged, (or the RAM can not get the needed depth-information to calculate what it should)?

What did yours display after replacing the fresh cells? How can I test whether it is working properly or not?

Is it unrelivable dead or can I do some repair on it?

[EDIT: The depth-sensor seems to be part of the housing. So if you have a spare housing because of other damages you suffered with yours, a hint would be greatly apprecated :kiss2::kiss2::kiss2:.]

Thank you!

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom