Question Suunto Stinger reseting and cycling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

I've recently changed the battery on my Suunto Stinger and while sverige seems fine, when I enter the water, ACW activated but then the watch resets the time to 18:00 and the 1/1.

It then proceeds to continually cycle through the flag screen back to time and beep as well..

Anyone had a similar issue? Is this a dud battery perhaps? Having read that sometimes the battery is just not up to the task of the watch?

TIA.

A couple of things could be at play here.

• The battery could be broken. When entering dive mode, there is an extra load on the battery as the transducer, pressure sensor, enters the circuit. This extra load could be too much for a malfunctioning battery, leaving the whole system with too little to power it. The computer resets and enters the "Eco" friendly time mode, which your battery is able to handle.
  • There could be poor contacts for the battery. The results would be very similar to the above. Maybe you got a tiny bit of moisture into the computer at some stage or the old battery leaked. Carefully inspect the contact points and clean with a very fine sandpaper if needed. The attached manual depicts these points quite clearly.
  • Your pressure sensor could be broken. I believe the old ACW computers did not throw a specific error message like the new ones. They did however gave a generic ERR. I don't think this is very likely here, especially as those old depth sensor were quite bullet proof. I could see how a broken depth sensor would result in a spike in current, so it's something to keep in mind.
Try to change to a new battery, as this is cheap and easy to do. It may be a long shot, but try to reset your whole module. All you need is a paperclip or small wire. The steps for this are detailed on page 13 of the attached manual.

Attachments

• Spyder & Stinger - Service Manual (2000).pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 73
A couple of things could be at play here.

• The battery could be broken. When entering dive mode, there is an extra load on the battery as the transducer, pressure sensor, enters the circuit. This extra load could be too much for a malfunctioning battery, leaving the whole system with too little to power it. The computer resets and enters the "Eco" friendly time mode, which your battery is able to handle.
  • There could be poor contacts for the battery. The results would be very similar to the above. Maybe you got a tiny bit of moisture into the computer at some stage or the old battery leaked. Carefully inspect the contact points and clean with a very fine sandpaper if needed. The attached manual depicts these points quite clearly.
  • Your pressure sensor could be broken. I believe the old ACW computers did not throw a specific error message like the new ones. They did however gave a generic ERR. I don't think this is very likely here, especially as those old depth sensor were quite bullet proof. I could see how a broken depth sensor would result in a spike in current, so it's something to keep in mind.
Try to change to a new battery, as this is cheap and easy to do. It may be a long shot, but try to reset your whole module. All you need is a paperclip or small wire. The steps for this are detailed on page 13 of the attached manual.
Nice one. Thanks for the info and advice. Shall give it a go and let you know the results just in case anyone else exclusions this too.

Cheers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom