Suunto - Vytec...anyone using one?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From the "Message from the Head Divemaster" page:

"Dive computer: pay close attention to the computer you are bringing. Most dive computers on the market are not designed for staged decompression diving and will lock-up on you or go out of range. This is because the manufacturers are afraid of the potential liability that can arise from divers performing staged decompression dives without supervision or training."

Long story short some computers lock up mid-week at Bikini. They recomend Niteks and Status II's among others. It goes on to show that Suunto Vyper and Cobra are not recomended for Bikini diving. I assume this would be the entire RGBM family, Vytec included.

http://www.bikiniatoll.com/fabioletter.html

I have over 50 dives on my Vytec and love it. I have not had the chance to use the function allowing gas switch but hope to soon. I did do a long deco dive on it a couple weeks ago in Cozumel. We did a long dive from the first coral heads of Punta Sur all the way through all of devils throat.

Suuntos are more conservative and resulted in my computer giving me more than 10 additional minutes of deco than the others in our group using uwatec.

The recall should be irrelevant to new purchasers as they should have been removed by now. I still need to bring mine back but havent gotten around to it yet.

Oh, I like the 6" hose idea. My whole rig got knocked over on a boat trip back in July and put a nice dent in the plastic cover of the sensor. It had a couple of quick hiccups and then kept on ticking. It is very accurate and has worked fine ever since.

Hope this helps.

Bill

bengiddins once bubbled...

I thought about that and I think the idea was shot down in flames on ScubaBoard. But the more I handle the first stage with the transmitter rigidly attached, the more I'm thinking about moving it to a 6" hose.

don't let scubabaord replace common since. don't be just a follower as many here would like you to be

Hello to all,
When the Vytec was recalled,
what did they do to the Dive Com?
Replaced with a new one or
just upgrade the software?

Thanks

MuddyFox once bubbled...
From the "Message from the Head Divemaster" page:
"Dive computer: pay close attention to the computer you are bringing. Most dive computers on the market are not designed for staged decompression diving and will lock-up on you or go out of range.

Long story short some computers lock up mid-week at Bikini. They recomend Niteks and Status II's among others. It goes on to show that Suunto Vyper and Cobra are not recomended for Bikini diving. I assume this would be the entire RGBM family, Vytec included.
http://www.bikiniatoll.com/fabioletter.html

The Vyper and Cobra are not capable of gas switching, the Vytec and NiTeks are. When that was written I don't think the vytec was out yet. There is no reason you couldn't use one. Bikini uses a high O2 mix for deco and any computer not capable of switching will get bent.

On another technical note, RGBM is not intended to be used with deep air anyway. It expects helium below 100-130 feet or so.

This is because the manufacturers are afraid of the potential liability that can arise from divers performing staged decompression dives without supervision or training."
Apparently Bikini isn't worried about untrained divers doing deep air, high PO2 deco, and doubles for the first time.

AquaTec once bubbled...
I understand that it will provide a sac rate as well, but i havn't seen that yet.
If you download the dives to the Dive Manager software, you can input the tank capacity and rated pressure, and the software uses this in conjunction with your start and end pressures to calculate SAC. On single tank dives for example, I average 0.55, and on doubles, 0.63.

I have no experience with the computer yet doing gas switches, so I don't know what happens in terms of SAC calculation. I'm interested to see how this is presented in the Dive Manager software as well - guess I'll have to wait a few more months.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom