SW Roatán, Sandy Bay area FAVORITE SPOTS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hopefulist

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm leaving in a week and a half for Honduras - woohoo! First diving stop will be Utila for a week, then a week in LaCeiba (Spanish school/homestay) followed by a week and a half split between SW Roatán and the Sandy Bay area. I'll probably only have 2 or 3 days of diving on Roatán and am interested in anyone's opinions about their favorite dive spots in those areas. I'm especially interested in the tiny stuff but am open minded. What has dazzled you?!

I note your statement about being open mided. That's the key, the small stuff.

Dazzling? Find a DM and dive op that can really show you the little critters for which Roatan is really best known. Make sure the have a glass magnifier and a flashlight.

I like SubWay just for that reason: the DM's... plus the excellent boats, others here will chime in with their suggestions, too.

There are two Sandy Bays on Roatan. The one that everyone is thinking about when they say that is on the North Side, just East of all of the major North side AI resorts near AKR.

The "SouthWest of Roatan" is a phrase I've not heard, are you talking about the portion from Coxen Hole West to West End? Not much diving there, but there are more than a few charitable organizations headquartered there, West of the Cruise Ship docks... often part of homestay/Spanish school.

Hi Hopefulist, I guess you are referring to the Sandy Bay close to the West End of Roatan, thereby making it the North West. It is basically the area of the marine park and my favourites are Texas, West End Wall, Blue channel, Hole in the Wall, El Alguila (wreck), Spooky Channel and Bears Den. There are lots of other sites and great wall diving. There are lots of good dive ops in West End a short taxi ride from Sandy Bay, but in Sandy Bay itself there are Bay Island Beach resort and Anthony's Key Resort, it is important to find the right op for you. Walk around the West End and visit a few, check the quality of equipment, don't be afraid to ask questions, do they have radios on board and oxygen. Is there always a safety up person on the boat? Is there spare kit and first aid on the boat? Are the staff experienced? I have tried a few of the dive ops on West End and my favourite for getting me out onto the better dive sites in comfort, with good equipment, organisation and professionalism is Coconut Tree Dvers. Their website has a nice dive map and a good description of the dive sites. I think it is www.coconuttreedivers.com Have fun.

Man - guess mistakes are what I deserve for posting at the end of a long day. I MEANT SE ROATÁN! We're staying at Mango Creek which is in the Port Royal area (catering to my husband's interests on this part of the trip - flyfishing). The Mango Creek people can set up however much diving I want, either through Reef House Resort or a new operation closer to them. I have dive books that talk about the sites but was hoping for specifics in that area that might be less populated by divers from the West End. I guess from Sandy Bay (NW Roatán, east of West End) my choices would be similar to West End choices; we'll be renting a little house from Caribbean Seashores Rentals there so the owners, again, will be helping me arrange the diving.

I have a magnifier, should I buy a flashlight before I go or is that something I can rent/borrow. Do you have a specific type/brand to recommend?

Thanks for the posts so far - appreciate it.

Okay, I get you. This is most commonly referred to as East End, South Shore.

Why all the confusion? Any map of Roatan has it sitting there, running East-West. This gives rise to such phrases as SouthEast, Northwest, etc.

In reality, Roatan runs SW-NE, an actual diagonal! That's a waste of paper on a map, so the cock it 45 degrees. Confusion ensues! You have to look closely to see that "N" is at the 10 o'clock position. :(

Fishing is said to be superb in that area. He will have easy access to the flats (shallows) East of Roatan on the way to Helena and Barbaretta.

Your diving will also be unique. The only large AI that ever gets that far is CoCoView.

You have some interesting options. Reef House will provide, but know also there is a new small property called Calabash that runs what appears to be a good dive op. The real plus here is that either resort has the access to the channel cut North-South thru the island that will allow you access to the North Shore as well.

They will certainly be your best guides, but right near you, "Hole in the Wall" is a favorite. I like snorkeling around Cow & Calf and fantasize about the kind of house I would build upon this rocky outpost. It's pictured on their website.

The website http://www.mangocreeklodge.com/index.cfm?fa=page.display&page_id=22 also shows rates for fisherman, dbl occupancy rates of... well, I can't begin to figure it out, but even if I were to take the low end possibilities, you might likely do better staying at the local dive resorts instead, let him charter the fishing seperately. Look at http://www.reefhouseresort.com/the_diving.html (with pix from all over the island) and the new one I mentioned, http://www.bayislandtropicalbeachresort.com/

The diving towards Helena and Barbaretta are excellent, but it depends upon the motivation of the dive staff and the preparadness of the boats!

The walls are more sloping here than they are at most known Roatan locations. This is not generally an area known for little critters, and unfortunately due to fishing, the larger critters might be spotty. Go with your well seasoned DM. If they aren't producing or seem unsure, move on.

Take lots of Deet repellant.

Two small flashlights would do you well. I like the UK4C, they're cheap and universal. Might make a nice gift to your DM along with a tip upon departure. The magnifier should be of single element (one lens) and glass... with a tether. If you aint brought it, you can't get it. You are about an hour + from what passes as a grocery store in French Harbor. (This grocery is closed on Saturday, so the only one open if you arrive on Saturday will be in Coxen Hole)

As you leave the airport, Coxen Hole and the West End will be behind you. You will see two wrecks along the road- very imposing- and rolling countryside. You will come to Barrio Fuerte (a squatters town) and RECO (The Electric Plant) and the fishing industry buildings. The last bit of commercial civilization you will see is the street to French Harbor (with that Grocery which is closed on Saturdays). From there, you will see Fantasy Island, then CoCoView, then.... not a lot!

You will be in the last frontier of Roatan- pretty well the end of the line! Enjoy the adventure and post your report!

Thanks for the responses - should be an interested time, no matter what. We had planned to stay at Mango Creek last summer but a family emergency back home ended our trip together at the beginning. They were willing to hold our deposit over from this year and the rates they offered work for us, though it's the splurge of our trip (25th anniversary!). My husband will be there for most of a week and I'll join him the last 3 nights. I'll let you know how it goes. THANKS AGAIN!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom