Trip Report Triton Bay Divers Resort Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Laval

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Having explored the depths of Raja Ampat, primarily the Dampier Strait area, for several years, we sought an alternative dive destination in Indonesia to complement our underwater adventures. Intrigued by the allure of Triton Bay, we set our sights on this destination. Thus, in January 2024, we embarked on a two-week diving retreat at Triton Bay Divers Resort, seamlessly extending our Raja Ampat journey. With a desire to encounter whale sharks and walking sharks, we strategically timed our visit to coincide with the new moon phase.

Booking and communication with the resort proved effortless. We directly liaised with Leeza, the resort's founder, who was exceedingly responsive and accommodating.

GETTING THERE:

Following a three-week diving expedition at Sorido Bay Resort, we returned to Sorong. From there, reaching the resort was relatively straightforward—a brief Lion Air/Wings Air flight (~1.5 hours) from Sorong to Kaimana, followed by a comfortable 1.5-hour speedboat ride.

It's important to note that flight schedules to and from Kaimana may undergo last-minute changes or cancellations. Ideally, allocating two nights in Sorong (pre and post-trip) and one in Kaimana before the journey, alongside meticulous documentation of flight details and baggage payments, ensures a smoother travel experience.

ACCOMMODATION:

The resort offers six beachfront bungalows, with #1 to #4 measuring approximately 5m x 4.5m, each with 5m x 1.5m decks, a spacious washroom, and an outdoor shower. The two newer "garden view" bungalows, with a partial sea view, are located in the second row, offering slightly larger accommodations.

LeboVJlgREmcFgBhYZsuRNucVpv8JzK_R_31JUjxGNDxeiCANqPMFurotj5yec1wtjyju1sxGnCZVHbT1nCVJWdXpWDPcL1Ycj1eGhWG75BjGB9pD-Zw2a_b-saCAnm8E4BW_-MNEWv7A1V82ua6YzA

Although there is no air conditioning, and power is off from 11 pm to 6 am, we slept fairly comfortably with the doors/windows open and a portable fan that we brought, based on someone's recommendation.

YIpeSRIC6HxXV6pay3s7V_ptad0EVOxiv1nkc2njkV0ZCfpcqKMXcarTtZ6RQHV7JcoJCheDymNhjWXSrOHWAO3EB1C8qZn7311kdst8bF0XBbK3HmKCVqf5fCL0_5_I66tR1kagpbbMcAajYhJf4ts
YjToJo7Z7jazmVz0y7ZEaE7byYafZfrxcwKCvAszrJpwEY1u3krOmXbmpS4exEx7WVOTZ4uxkqm3lZ9LbIvprMSshBV7tywngo5P8Xvk5fM8P0ADPlyX9ZKuQbFIN2f3LAKrkvz8sQO_4wAa1SMHXZI
3DmJ6M4dZkDebu6U4tWFvWc3awwDk-5oWxeG7oKw3pTvMvuMoiCBPqjFDvWA8pFQPVZblS4RCNjWrahj7w8Cem2r6PjOr-gK_7bMZ0f6CrTG2l8TlFPk2DTFfveQtX3sTs-SsWZ6ynqoh5G8KrQz3KE

09C_f_SUzzHSf7MnCRFiO4ob0nRJIHJxDnPDimTZEoyfC-MBU6Mqi772y23_FdbX6gV8XdjeAdQF9Wha1jt7aj8U2JVCTCFYZvt4hU3aCXRdBujeej_XCxbumESajGRoKpaifLQ-wHD7vyxvgSdo5gk

DIVE OPERATION:

Triton Bay Divers operates a commendable dive setup, equipped with four dive boats and ample facilities for diving enthusiasts. Unfortunately, they do not have Nitrox available at the resort.

iD88K84ngjyYOy8Xzaydr31hwVkDpPbuKtN-MJyxMCAdvo-YHe3-mkdL_y6PsVIIbdaAiUxQQn-Ovf2TQ2Q7tDxewwH_8r4RI7N9v3kSZP1bSU06PhvoB52OBYjpC6BdCmTP5hkjNoJAXEnBO8a3u2k

The maximum ‘dive guide to divers’ ratio is 1 to 4, but most of the time it was 1 to 3 and during most afternoon dives it was 1 to 2. Unlike other establishments, dive guides are rotated frequently.

Photographers will be pleased to know that there are two large camera tanks and a well-equipped camera room, likely suitable for 6-7 large camera rigs.

MARINE LIFE:

The marine biodiversity of Triton Bay is truly astonishing, appealing to enthusiasts of muck and coral reef diving alike. From pygmy seahorses to magnificent whale sharks, Triton Bay offers a plethora of captivating encounters. Despite lower visibility compared to Raja Ampat, the underwater scenery is unparalleled.

There were many interesting critters, including pygmy seahorses, various cuttlefish (including flamboyant cuttlefish), blue-ringed octopus, wonderpus octopus, reef octopus, nudibranchs, shrimps, crabs, and many other critters that I’ve never seen before.

_K5IzT9tUz0MgI6nW-Q3ku8JZgIXl9zXfRqotGNbXy-NJMi5I5yGo62XqHIzQQWxXtTq8QkU70tZO5rLQjC5GCt9IyzxKXwxOSDeCuFEa1-3ulZgd46aDpR3e6glpb6rLrq_7-h75Ayg1Rx7fdSJJtA

The abundance of colorful soft corals and different hard corals, along with numerous fish, was truly stunning.

We had an overwhelming experience diving with whale sharks and dolphins for about three hours, encountering three whale sharks and probably 20 dolphins at a fishing platform, with the largest whale shark being approximately 9 meters (30 feet) long.

nw3PK-m_WNbka_7GPHsh043x_HMXt7BpTwdwYQLO7C_DNtkzkdoXRhjDDsbTFEK2eXxtCSfF-V8TjcOtB_X4y6eJdFxVAsL8QN3m7SPdU-gbdUro-eY1125pDCObVmV8-XmJgj0aO2BcqXcxW2RNRnw

Another unexpected surprise was encountering two giant marble stingrays, one of them massive—over 2 meters (~6.5 feet) in diameter, probably a female, and another one - about 1.5 meters (~5 feet) in diameter, probably a male. You can watch my video about this encounter following the link below.

aXpQQgV8YUw3qgbB7rtnsE54eZA-OQnt5JJLp3l41KBs6H4msRcokO6J49Ork1VZtzCye22OmkLdYFZElXaSBNNrHd94J0Wcd9MFa2YnyBfLrhF9qHzqfqmvT198syyH-0PoaWtvwMeGIdJFbqMJ_Tc

Additionally, we encountered several turtles, humphead parrotfish, Napoleon wrasse, and two wobbegong sharks, but did not spot any other sharks or manta rays. During a night dive, I found a walking shark measuring almost 1 meter (~ 3 feet) long.

63SV0YPeZT0_dNDfoJ9mULNFb3v6t80r2uSGRPkJwzcitITvWYIbBRDkgL_KNlkz8vkw73V15JZAyG70uDTvNj5SqXQPgTsRlo3svfsI6f5LwGOPmtHZQ68AhdUOaQBycIHqUU3wV9d5KIo5riIe3Dc

I also attempted two Flasher Wrasse dives, successfully capturing their unique and intense activity on the second attempt.

Most dives were fairly shallow, less than 20 meters (65 feet), and lasted 60 to 70 minutes.

RAJA AMPAT vs TRITON BAY:

While comparisons between Raja Ampat and Triton Bay are inevitable, both destinations offer distinct experiences that complement each other. Triton Bay stands out for its diverse diving opportunities, vibrant soft corals and secluded ambiance: absence of other dive operations and almost no liveaboards - only three seen during our two-week stay vs about a hundred in Raja Ampat during about the same period.

The beaches with fine white sand are stunning in Triton Bay, and there is no visible rubbish in the water or on the shores. It was a pleasure to swim there. The only downside of diving in Triton Bay was lower visibility compared to Raja Ampat.

SUMMARY: Our stay at Triton Bay Divers Resort was nothing short of spectacular. We are planning to return for an extended three-week period next year, making Triton Bay a staple in our annual West Papua adventures.

Watch the video “Giant Marbled Stingrays of Triton Bay” following the link below, and if you liked this video, please don't forget to give it a LIKE and show us your support. And, if you want to stay up to date with all of our latest adventures and more videos about amazing scuba diving in Triton Bay, hit the SUBSCRIBE button on the Diver's Lens YouTube channel. https://youtu.be/767zoRxt5Hk

Thanks for the topside accommodation photos; that's helpful. Did they offer wifi service? Was cell phone service available?

Richard.

Having explored the depths of Raja Ampat, primarily the Dampier Strait area, for several years, we sought an alternative dive destination in Indonesia to complement our underwater adventures. Intrigued by the allure of Triton Bay, we set our sights on this destination. Thus, in January 2024, we embarked on a two-week diving retreat at Triton Bay Divers Resort, seamlessly extending our Raja Ampat journey. With a desire to encounter whale sharks and walking sharks, we strategically timed our visit to coincide with the new moon phase.

Booking and communication with the resort proved effortless. We directly liaised with Leeza, the resort's founder, who was exceedingly responsive and accommodating.

GETTING THERE:

Following a three-week diving expedition at Sorido Bay Resort, we returned to Sorong. From there, reaching the resort was relatively straightforward—a brief Lion Air/Wings Air flight (~1.5 hours) from Sorong to Kaimana, followed by a comfortable 1.5-hour speedboat ride.

It's important to note that flight schedules to and from Kaimana may undergo last-minute changes or cancellations. Ideally, allocating two nights in Sorong (pre and post-trip) and one in Kaimana before the journey, alongside meticulous documentation of flight details and baggage payments, ensures a smoother travel experience.

ACCOMMODATION:

The resort offers six beachfront bungalows, with #1 to #4 measuring approximately 5m x 4.5m, each with 5m x 1.5m decks, a spacious washroom, and an outdoor shower. The two newer "garden view" bungalows, with a partial sea view, are located in the second row, offering slightly larger accommodations.

LeboVJlgREmcFgBhYZsuRNucVpv8JzK_R_31JUjxGNDxeiCANqPMFurotj5yec1wtjyju1sxGnCZVHbT1nCVJWdXpWDPcL1Ycj1eGhWG75BjGB9pD-Zw2a_b-saCAnm8E4BW_-MNEWv7A1V82ua6YzA

Although there is no air conditioning, and power is off from 11 pm to 6 am, we slept fairly comfortably with the doors/windows open and a portable fan that we brought, based on someone's recommendation.

YIpeSRIC6HxXV6pay3s7V_ptad0EVOxiv1nkc2njkV0ZCfpcqKMXcarTtZ6RQHV7JcoJCheDymNhjWXSrOHWAO3EB1C8qZn7311kdst8bF0XBbK3HmKCVqf5fCL0_5_I66tR1kagpbbMcAajYhJf4ts
YjToJo7Z7jazmVz0y7ZEaE7byYafZfrxcwKCvAszrJpwEY1u3krOmXbmpS4exEx7WVOTZ4uxkqm3lZ9LbIvprMSshBV7tywngo5P8Xvk5fM8P0ADPlyX9ZKuQbFIN2f3LAKrkvz8sQO_4wAa1SMHXZI
3DmJ6M4dZkDebu6U4tWFvWc3awwDk-5oWxeG7oKw3pTvMvuMoiCBPqjFDvWA8pFQPVZblS4RCNjWrahj7w8Cem2r6PjOr-gK_7bMZ0f6CrTG2l8TlFPk2DTFfveQtX3sTs-SsWZ6ynqoh5G8KrQz3KE

09C_f_SUzzHSf7MnCRFiO4ob0nRJIHJxDnPDimTZEoyfC-MBU6Mqi772y23_FdbX6gV8XdjeAdQF9Wha1jt7aj8U2JVCTCFYZvt4hU3aCXRdBujeej_XCxbumESajGRoKpaifLQ-wHD7vyxvgSdo5gk

DIVE OPERATION:

Triton Bay Divers operates a commendable dive setup, equipped with four dive boats and ample facilities for diving enthusiasts. Unfortunately, they do not have Nitrox available at the resort.

iD88K84ngjyYOy8Xzaydr31hwVkDpPbuKtN-MJyxMCAdvo-YHe3-mkdL_y6PsVIIbdaAiUxQQn-Ovf2TQ2Q7tDxewwH_8r4RI7N9v3kSZP1bSU06PhvoB52OBYjpC6BdCmTP5hkjNoJAXEnBO8a3u2k

The maximum ‘dive guide to divers’ ratio is 1 to 4, but most of the time it was 1 to 3 and during most afternoon dives it was 1 to 2. Unlike other establishments, dive guides are rotated frequently.

Photographers will be pleased to know that there are two large camera tanks and a well-equipped camera room, likely suitable for 6-7 large camera rigs.

MARINE LIFE:

The marine biodiversity of Triton Bay is truly astonishing, appealing to enthusiasts of muck and coral reef diving alike. From pygmy seahorses to magnificent whale sharks, Triton Bay offers a plethora of captivating encounters. Despite lower visibility compared to Raja Ampat, the underwater scenery is unparalleled.

There were many interesting critters, including pygmy seahorses, various cuttlefish (including flamboyant cuttlefish), blue-ringed octopus, wonderpus octopus, reef octopus, nudibranchs, shrimps, crabs, and many other critters that I’ve never seen before.

_K5IzT9tUz0MgI6nW-Q3ku8JZgIXl9zXfRqotGNbXy-NJMi5I5yGo62XqHIzQQWxXtTq8QkU70tZO5rLQjC5GCt9IyzxKXwxOSDeCuFEa1-3ulZgd46aDpR3e6glpb6rLrq_7-h75Ayg1Rx7fdSJJtA

The abundance of colorful soft corals and different hard corals, along with numerous fish, was truly stunning.

We had an overwhelming experience diving with whale sharks and dolphins for about three hours, encountering three whale sharks and probably 20 dolphins at a fishing platform, with the largest whale shark being approximately 9 meters (30 feet) long.

nw3PK-m_WNbka_7GPHsh043x_HMXt7BpTwdwYQLO7C_DNtkzkdoXRhjDDsbTFEK2eXxtCSfF-V8TjcOtB_X4y6eJdFxVAsL8QN3m7SPdU-gbdUro-eY1125pDCObVmV8-XmJgj0aO2BcqXcxW2RNRnw

Another unexpected surprise was encountering two giant marble stingrays, one of them massive—over 2 meters (~6.5 feet) in diameter, probably a female, and another one - about 1.5 meters (~5 feet) in diameter, probably a male. You can watch my video about this encounter following the link below.

aXpQQgV8YUw3qgbB7rtnsE54eZA-OQnt5JJLp3l41KBs6H4msRcokO6J49Ork1VZtzCye22OmkLdYFZElXaSBNNrHd94J0Wcd9MFa2YnyBfLrhF9qHzqfqmvT198syyH-0PoaWtvwMeGIdJFbqMJ_Tc

Additionally, we encountered several turtles, humphead parrotfish, Napoleon wrasse, and two wobbegong sharks, but did not spot any other sharks or manta rays. During a night dive, I found a walking shark measuring almost 1 meter (~ 3 feet) long.

63SV0YPeZT0_dNDfoJ9mULNFb3v6t80r2uSGRPkJwzcitITvWYIbBRDkgL_KNlkz8vkw73V15JZAyG70uDTvNj5SqXQPgTsRlo3svfsI6f5LwGOPmtHZQ68AhdUOaQBycIHqUU3wV9d5KIo5riIe3Dc

I also attempted two Flasher Wrasse dives, successfully capturing their unique and intense activity on the second attempt.

Most dives were fairly shallow, less than 20 meters (65 feet), and lasted 60 to 70 minutes.

RAJA AMPAT vs TRITON BAY:

While comparisons between Raja Ampat and Triton Bay are inevitable, both destinations offer distinct experiences that complement each other. Triton Bay stands out for its diverse diving opportunities, vibrant soft corals and secluded ambiance: absence of other dive operations and almost no liveaboards - only three seen during our two-week stay vs about a hundred in Raja Ampat during about the same period.

The beaches with fine white sand are stunning in Triton Bay, and there is no visible rubbish in the water or on the shores. It was a pleasure to swim there. The only downside of diving in Triton Bay was lower visibility compared to Raja Ampat.

SUMMARY: Our stay at Triton Bay Divers Resort was nothing short of spectacular. We are planning to return for an extended three-week period next year, making Triton Bay a staple in our annual West Papua adventures.

Watch the video “Giant Marbled Stingrays of Triton Bay” following the link below, and if you liked this video, please don't forget to give it a LIKE and show us your support. And, if you want to stay up to date with all of our latest adventures and more videos about amazing scuba diving in Triton Bay, hit the SUBSCRIBE button on the Diver's Lens YouTube channel. https://youtu.be/767zoRxt5Hk
Great review. Absolutely my favorite dive resort.

Thanks for the report. I also love that area of the world and will have to travel out there given your comments about how many liveaboard now inhabit RA. Your photos reminded how nice the outdoor showers are to have.

No cell service is a positive to me. Nice to get away from the world. :)

Thanks so much for sharing your photos and review. I’m really looking forward to it. I head over there for 2 weeks for the first time in April. As a serial RA diver, I have high hopes! Since I’m flying through Sorong, I decided to also do a quick RA trip right before.

Thanks so much for sharing your photos and review. I’m really looking forward to it. I head over there for 2 weeks for the first time in April. As a serial RA diver, I have high hopes! Since I’m flying through Sorong, I decided to also do a quick RA trip right before.
I just published video "Dive Into Triton Bay - Underwater Wonderlands Revealed" (FULL DOCUMENTARY). It can give you some ideas about what to expect. Enjoy your diving and please say hi to Leeza from me (Val)

Thank for the great video Laval. Triton Bay can be awesome, but for the uninitiated, be aware it can also suffer from green water and low visibility sometimes in some areas. But, it definitely ranks as an awesome destination. We've done some non-Raja itineraries on liveaboards and this is one of the best, other than cancelled flights out of Kaimana.

Thank for the great video Laval. Triton Bay can be awesome, but for the uninitiated, be aware it can also suffer from green water and low visibility sometimes in some areas. But, it definitely ranks as an awesome destination. We've done some non-Raja itineraries on liveaboards and this is one of the best, other than cancelled flights out of Kaimana.
Good points! I would not recommend for novice divers to go to Triton Bay. You have to get "tired" of RAJA AMPAT's beauty to fully appreciate Triton Bay. As my dive mate said in my video: "poor visibility is an obstacle to overcome".

Back
Top Bottom