Trip Report Triton Bay Divers - 11/2023

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ppina

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My vacation with Triton Bay Divers has finished today.

I booked this trip in 2019 but had to postpone it because of the pandemic.

My expectations were high because of all the reviews and pictures I have seen. I was already aware of how difficult it could be to arrive at Kaimana due to the very bad customer service of Wings Air.
I even arranged to arrive one day earlier at Kaimana and booked the international flight back one day later.

As far as the resort and diving experience are concerned, I would like to say that I have arrived as planned and everything was very well organized: the airport transfer to the hotel and the boat trip to the resort. The boat was fast and comfortable.

This is paradise, indeed. There is nothing else on the island but the resort. The beach and the view are breathtaking. The room is comfortable, even with no AC, with enough space for the camera and there is a big room at the dive centre to store the cameras with all the necessary electrical connections and switches.

The first dive was the day after arrival. To shoot macro, this was very good. Lots of maritime wildlife and excellent guides. To shoot wide, and despite the abundant wildlife, the visibility was poor comparing to the photos and videos from the website.

My biggest disappointment was not seeing the whale sharks. In theory, apparently, we can spot them all year long, but this week nobody has seen them.

In fact, I have heard someone saying that sometimes it is difficult to see them.

In conclusion, this was a fair site to dive and an exquisite place, of extraordinary beauty.

I have been told that the visibility is much better in February and March.

Today some wide pictures have been shared on Facebook, with a 30-meter visibility. I know the resort needs customers all year long.
Internet by satellite is available at the lobby. It’s slow but one can send and received emails. Electricity is only available from 6 a.m. to 11 p.m.

The diving boats are comfortable and the diving centre has enough space. The food is fair but I have had better meals in similar resorts in Indonesia. The Staff is excellent, as most resorts in this country. Your people are extraordinary.

I would like to come back some day, but Raja Ampat is the best spot to dive. My favorite so far.

The flight issues are really the worst. The risk of cancelling or changing flights is high and if one organizes a vacation like this, everything should go as planned.

I travel alone, so it’s easier for me, but if I should travel with my family, I would definitely choose another place. My flight scheduled for Saturday was cancelled and I have to fly on Sunday. I hope it will not be cancelled again.

In the end, I may come back some day with my wife

@ppina - did you mean Triton Bay Divers?

If so, you might as a staff person to edit your title and post if it's too late for you to do so. I think it's a destination that's well spoken of but doesn't have a lot of trip reports, and yours may not show up in searches if the spelling's got an extra 'n.'

Richard.

@ppina - did you mean Triton Bay Divers?

If so, you might as a staff person to edit your title and post if it's too late for you to do so. I think it's a destination that's well spoken of but doesn't have a lot of trip reports, and yours may not show up in searches if the spelling's got an extra 'n.'

Richard.
Done

My vacation with Triton Bay Divers has finished today.

I booked this trip in 2019 but had to postpone it because of the pandemic.

My expectations were high because of all the reviews and pictures I have seen. I was already aware of how difficult it could be to arrive at Kaimana due to the very bad customer service of Wings Air.
I even arranged to arrive one day earlier at Kaimana and booked the international flight back one day later.

As far as the resort and diving experience are concerned, I would like to say that I have arrived as planned and everything was very well organized: the airport transfer to the hotel and the boat trip to the resort. The boat was fast and comfortable.

This is paradise, indeed. There is nothing else on the island but the resort. The beach and the view are breathtaking. The room is comfortable, even with no AC, with enough space for the camera and there is a big room at the dive centre to store the cameras with all the necessary electrical connections and switches.

The first dive was the day after arrival. To shoot macro, this was very good. Lots of maritime wildlife and excellent guides. To shoot wide, and despite the abundant wildlife, the visibility was poor comparing to the photos and videos from the website.

My biggest disappointment was not seeing the whale sharks. In theory, apparently, we can spot them all year long, but this week nobody has seen them.

In fact, I have heard someone saying that sometimes it is difficult to see them.

In conclusion, this was a fair site to dive and an exquisite place, of extraordinary beauty.

I have been told that the visibility is much better in February and March.

Today some wide pictures have been shared on Facebook, with a 30-meter visibility. I know the resort needs customers all year long.
Internet by satellite is available at the lobby. It’s slow but one can send and received emails. Electricity is only available from 6 a.m. to 11 p.m.

The diving boats are comfortable and the diving centre has enough space. The food is fair but I have had better meals in similar resorts in Indonesia. The Staff is excellent, as most resorts in this country. Your people are extraordinary.

I would like to come back some day, but Raja Ampat is the best spot to dive. My favorite so far.

The flight issues are really the worst. The risk of cancelling or changing flights is high and if one organizes a vacation like this, everything should go as planned.

I travel alone, so it’s easier for me, but if I should travel with my family, I would definitely choose another place. My flight scheduled for Saturday was cancelled and I have to fly on Sunday. I hope it will not be cancelled again.

In the end, I may come back some day with my wife

Movie

Seems like an incredible place to go, unfortunately marred by unpredictable visibility. Coral and fish life looks pretty epic, and those topside surroundings! :0

Isn't unpredictable visibility just part of diving?
Absolutely. I suppose some places, seasons, might be more or less predictable than others. Some of my favorite dives ever have been in less favorable visibility, I didn't mean it as a knock on Triton Bay. It's just luck of the draw.

Awesome video, both under water and above. Thanks so much for sharing!

Triton Bay is among our candidate destinations for Dec 2024. We are concerned about the lack of AC or 24 hour electricity, unreliable domestic flight and visibility though. Do you mind if we ask a few questions?

Was mosquito a problem during your stay there? Did you have to put on mosquito repellent all the time (above water)? Since there's no AC (or fans over night), did you have to leave the windows open at night thus mosquitos would come in the room? Did you take malaria prophylaxis?

Is the visibility issue more seasonal (e.g. bad visibility in Nov, good in Feb, March) or does it change all the time? Have you heard anything about the visibility in late Dec?

Thanks in advance !

Awesome video, both under water and above. Thanks so much for sharing!

Triton Bay is among our candidate destinations for Dec 2024. We are concerned about the lack of AC or 24 hour electricity, unreliable domestic flight and visibility though. Do you mind if we ask a few questions?

Was mosquito a problem during your stay there? Did you have to put on mosquito repellent all the time (above water)? Since there's no AC (or fans over night), did you have to leave the windows open at night thus mosquitos would come in the room? Did you take malaria prophylaxis?

Is the visibility issue more seasonal (e.g. bad visibility in Nov, good in Feb, March) or does it change all the time? Have you heard anything about the visibility in late Dec?

Thanks in advance !
Good morning

Even without AC, there wasn't any problems with mosquitos or high temperature inside the room.
For the mosquitos, I used repellent every evening when arriving at the dining area.
That was not a problem for me nor for the other guests.
I always carry with me the malaria tablets and take them as prescribed.
According to other divers I have talked to and who visited this place, February and March are the best time in terms of visibility but marine life is not as abundant. The visibility increases from October through March.

Back
Top Bottom