swim with the whale sharks at hobox direct from Cozumel!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Less than $100 difference to fly! :pilot: "Taxi! Airport please...!"

when are the whale sharks in cozumel? Still there at the end of september?
Maybe, maybe not. We're lucky they're at all with all the hardships on the species, but June 15-Sept 15 is the recognized season. Whether much of the herd will stay late will depend on weather and other unknowns. Can you go earlier...?
Flying does sound better than driving if you have enough/not too many in a group and only a day to do it in. That site has a lot of info but doesn't seem to package the total. Excerpting from it...

"You'll check-in @ Aero Saabs Location which runs the AERO HOLBOX Charters for us. There you'll pay the std departure tax & then be in store for a "Breath-Taking" low level (1500') flight Directly to Holbox Island."
Add $25 each?​

"You'll arrive @ Holbox International Airport @ approx 7:45am and be picked up by our ground staff. Thenm you'll enjoy some "WAKE-UP" American Coffee & juices before departing on your VIP PRIVATE or Public Tours." I think the tour is extra right?
$625 for up to 5 = $156 each/party of 4
$125 each/party of 5​

Standard Tourist Whale Shark Adventure - wow they've gone up a lot...
Price per person, adults and children: $110 P/P​

Doesn't say if it includes other taxes or not? Still nicer than driving a day trip huh...
$260 to $291​

The trip was just under $300 per person, including extra $25 pp airport fee, tips, etc. On that day we went up to Holbox with only Ishmael (our guide) and the pilot in a 4 seater Cessna. on busier days they might take 6 epople up in a larger plane. He had already arranged everything--we went out on a boat (I'm not a good judge of boat size but this one had the capitan, 3 crew to help out and about 9 of us on board--we had plenty of room...We were out with 4-6 other people and each person got 3 turns swimming for as long as they wanted--the water was cold and after a few minutes, You couldn't really follow one shark for too long, so we re-entered the boat and the captain went about 20-30 meters in front of the shark and then someone else dropped in to the water for their turn. We could have gone in again if we had wanted,but by that time, people had gotten the experience they came for and we were ready to head back to shore.

Yeah, as I said--each person got to enter the water as many times as they wanted. Most people went in 2-3 times. My husband went back for a fourth to get some photos. They didn't leave the site until everyones' appetites were quenched for the encounter(s) they wanted!

Yeah--I think you still have to count the time and money to get to the mainland on the ferry (which you have to take early is another $30 pp and an additional 2 hours once you add the waiting time...and add the "cost" of a 3 hour drive up the yucatan peninsula--
For us, after a week of diving, it was definitely worth the extra cost to fly! And once we did the math in comparison the difference was worth it!

Hmmm--I remember them saying that thy are there thru September--but obviously when the beasts decide to head out varies from year to year. If you REALLY want to do the trip to the sharks and have the flexibility, I'd say late august would be better! Of course you can email Duende (and ask them when you go if they are still running the trip and finding the sharks...

We were certainly satisfied with the Duende tours operation (Adventure Travel | Duende Tours) out of Cozumel. And the ENTIRE package per person was just ovr $305 if I remember correctly--not to mention the ease of having to arrange nothing ourselves, except when to meet Ishmael to pay him the day before the trip and to show up on time to the airport in the morning!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom