Take Part: Coastal Cleanup Dive Sept 18th.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ryan, I have never heard of the lobster traps forming reefs. I have never seen anything growing on the traps. I have only seen stuff trapped in them. I think anything which does not to promote growth should be removed. Anyone?

Sean

ryanarcher:
Do you know if there is going to be one in San Diego also?

Yes .. there will be! Hmm, I shall get back to you about the details. Bug me if you don't hear anything back from me on this, please.

RSdiver:
Hooray "Dive N Surf"
After reading this I went in today for the first time (just moved here) and it was a great shop but they were busy and the sign up sheets were on the computer display case and just labelled A, B, C or D for different events.

Way too confusing for me to tell the "Lobster Monster" event from the "Clean Up", etc and didn't see that any sheets had a title. Staff were all preoccupied with customers so I left and hadn't signed up. I'll try again another day, but Thank you for supporting it.

There is a new web site www.divevets.com The message forum there is monitored closly by people who would know the Sept. 18th cleanup. You will have a detailed reply within 15 minutes. Or go to "upcommng event" page on same web site and download PDF format forms.

Or you could PM one of the people who have posted here about the event.

Roland - we went for the Wed evening nightdive last night and didn't see you.

There sure was A LOT of trash, esp plastic bags.
It is a dive like this that really encourages me to want to participate in Saturday's clean up event. Fisherman's frozen bait bags seem to be seen FAR too often - if any are fisherman buying frozen bait in plastic bags please don't toss these into the ocean.

Scott

RSdiver:
Roland - we went for the Wed evening nightdive last night and didn't see you.

There sure was A LOT of trash, esp plastic bags.
It is a dive like this that really encourages me to want to participate in Saturday's clean up event. Fisherman's frozen bait bags seem to be seen FAR too often - if any are fisherman buying frozen bait in plastic bags please don't toss these into the ocean.

Scott

The weaklings of the group called the dive off last night due to the "residual poo" levels from the sewage leak earlier in the week.:xyxnervou We are doing the Vets. Park dive tonight if you care to join...6:30-6:45ish meeting in the parkinglot. The plan is to find the Topaz Pilings. Check http://www.divevets.com/ message board for continuous dive updates and member insults :eyebrow:

Cleanup-wise, there should be a good diver turnout on Saturday. http://www.divevets.com/upcoming.htm , scroll down the page to get more information. Hope you can make it, bring you c-card & a bag. People are suggesting you get there around 7:30am to secure parking. Bring your quarters.

Roland

We were going to do the canyon but there were some equipment issues so did the redondo pier. We did see the toxic bio-hazard warnings and hesitated for a bit, but still proceeded. Vis was sub-10 feet and the pier has lots of trash, many being fisherman's frozen bait bags.

At the end of the pier (~24 ft) clarity began to improve so I'm thinking the canyon would be far better when you drop below further out.

Saturday's cleanup was good fun! A bunch of us met early and did a pre-cleanup dive. Vis was amazing, schools and schools of baby bat rays where seen by everyone in the 10'-15' shallows.

Approx. 30 divers showed for the Redondo cleanup. Fishing gear, knives, lawn chairs, boom box and a boat winch where just some of the items salvaged from the bottom.

Looking forward to next year.

I did not dive, but I did go down to the Playa del Rey site where things wash down from Ballona Creek and picked up trash on the beach. From what I saw:

1) I will no longer, under any circumstances, use styrofoam products;

2) There are still an amazing number of people in Southern California who smoke as judged from the number of cigarette filters found; and

3) We all need to keep better track of our plastic water bottle caps.

Back
Top Bottom