Taking Carribean recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DrySuitDave

Contributor
Reaction score
Los Angeles, where the debris meets the sea
Gang,

Ok, here's the deal; I travel all over the country staying in nice hotels, so I can't stand the idea of spending perfectly good money to stay in a hotel in some tropical paradise. I prefer something along the lines of an authentic clean large south pacific bure, or a clean private bungalow. I think Lighthouse Reef Resort has some of those, but do you have recommendations for exclusive, non-crowded, bungalow style accomodation dive resorts where the diving is full of little critters and lots of corals and invertebrates but I won't feel like I am in a hotel in the city?

Suggestions?

I don't know of any grass huts but Bonaire is about a laid back as it gets and still has plenty of places to eat (eat/sleep/dive are my requirements). Tons of small critters and fishes, all of which are easily accessible from shore, no crowded boats to deal with.

DrySuitDave:
Gang,

Ok, here's the deal; I travel all over the country staying in nice hotels, so I can't stand the idea of spending perfectly good money to stay in a hotel in some tropical paradise. I prefer something along the lines of an authentic clean large south pacific bure, or a clean private bungalow. I think Lighthouse Reef Resort has some of those, but do you have recommendations for exclusive, non-crowded, bungalow style accomodation dive resorts where the diving is full of little critters and lots of corals and invertebrates but I won't feel like I am in a hotel in the city?

Suggestions?

Try Young Island Resort on St. Vincent.

Are you set on a "bungalow", or just don't want to feel like you're in a normal hotel? Some Caribbean destinations have their share of veal pens, but many also have plenty of other types of accommodations. Not always what you would call a bungalow, but places that are small and/or unique and nothing like staying in your typical city hotel.

Young island is a great option.

Spent a week at Coco View resort last year and was very pleased with it... it sounds like it might fit your description and wants?

We are staying at the Happy Holiday Homes on Bonaire at the end of the month. I'm told by my wife they are little 1 or 2 bedroom bungalows, ours is a one bedroom. I'll know more about how nice, private etc. once we get back.

No air, no phone, no cable, real bungalows or small guest houses, I wouldn't describe them as anything remotely near "hotels". Accomodations run from eco-conscious, to fairly luxurious (check out Willards). 5 square miles of dormant volcano, 1 road. No beaches, no beach diving. Critters abound - large,small & in-between, corals as well, island is a marine preserve. Certainly would not be described as anything remotely near the word "city". You don't mention any other needs - dining choices, entertainment, other activities - if these are not important, Saba. If these are of equal importance, you may want to consider another choice.check this link for accomodations

It is more like dive camp, but still has some ammenities for comfort if you choose, like air conditioning, plus you can dive your brains out best shore diving 24-7 right outside your room. Check out there website and msg board. They treat you like family, in a good way heh heh.:wink:
:sun_smile

Hi

Personally I like Salt Cay, Turks & Caicos. Been there four times.
About laid back as you can get and a 10 Minute boat ride to get wet.

Happy and Safe Diving

Ron

Hey Dave! It sounds to me like you were describing Anthony's Key Resort in Roatan. All the amenities of a hotel but definitely has the bungalow feel. Check it out at: http://www.anthonyskey.com/

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom