Taking the PLUNGE - Choosing a Package deal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe he just prefers the online shopping model and doesn't want to "call" anyone, however helpful or friendly or honest they may be? Maybe he "shops" late at night - I doubt Larry takes midnight phone calls. Maybe he processes printed information better than oral information. Maybe he needs to mull it over for some time before "pulling the trigger" on major purchases.

ReefHound:
Maybe he just prefers the online shopping model and doesn't want to "call" anyone, however helpful or friendly or honest they may be? Maybe he "shops" late at night - I doubt Larry takes midnight phone calls. Maybe he processes printed information better than oral information. Maybe he needs to mull it over for some time before "pulling the trigger" on major purchases.

all possible, he can also PM me if he wishes.

ReefHound:
I don't care either way about calling, my other hobby cars is a perfect example where people are always trying to sell you on something whether it's in person or on the phone.

I "shop" when I can. But being in Hawaii, I usually have to call most places in the mainland during my lunch hour because of the time difference. It's also not that I don't want to support my LDS, I've gotten my OW and AOW at two different places and I have my reasons for not wanting to buy at either one. Besides, no matter what some of my money with be going to them since I'll need tanks/air, and I'll do the occasional boat dive. I'm still mulling over exactly what to get. I'm one of those people that has to research everything to death before I buy something, buyers remorse is the worst! Thanks for all the help (esp ReefHound for all the detailed help), I feel a bit better at choosing what I need now :D

Itch, I just left Oahu about a year ago and I undertand the problems with talking to people. First I highly recommend the Aeris Atmos XT BCD, its fantastic. Blows all other BCDs I have ever used out of the water, in function, comfort, bouyancy, balasting, and intergrated wieght systems.

There are a few things to consider, 1) shipping, the more you put in the box the more you will save, so spend your money once and save the shipping cost. 2) Regs, buy the best reg you can afford and make sure that you can get serviced.

Now my opinions : Computer, I agree with you to skip it for now, learning your tables with gauges will make you a better diver later on.

However, I didn't see a suit on there, given that you are in Oahu I know you will need one, but I also know that Ocean Concepts sells Pinnacle suits (also my favorite wetsuits) at the best prices I have ever seen (internet included). The Seal is worth every penny.

I looked around this past weekend at another LDS since I needed to rent gear again. Their prices were...um, not even close to scubatoys. But the discouraging part was they quoted me a different amount on the phone for gear compared to what they charged me in the store. I'm told that the phone quote was the miltary discounted price, except there was no mention of being in the military. It sounds a little strange to me. Soooo, I finally placed my order today with scubatoys. I opted for:

Tusa RS130, imprex octo, atmos sport bc, and a oceanic veo 100 + compass

I went a little bit over my budget because of the computer, but I'm pretty sure it'll all last me for a while. I'm diving again this Friday, I'm told it should all come in time (UPS 2nd air). Thanks for all the help!

meesier42:
First I highly recommend the Aeris Atmos XT BCD, its fantastic.

However, I didn't see a suit on there, given that you are in Oahu I know you will need one, but I also know that Ocean Concepts sells Pinnacle suits (also my favorite wetsuits) at the best prices I have ever seen (internet included). The Seal is worth every penny.

Unfortunately, it was only the Atmos Sport at that price. I didn't mention a suit since I was lucky enough to get a nice deal on one locally for a 3mm full suit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom