Talcott Shoals on the Peace

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bperc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We went out to Talcott Shoals on the Peace Friday. This was my first trip there. When we arrived the wind was blowing some. There was some chop in the swells. Captain Eric moved to a calmer spot and we made our first dive. The visibility was 40+ feet. We could see the boat from the bottom. My friend Larry and I never saw any lobster, but some of the other divers did find a few. I saw several nudibranchs and chestnut cowrys. I was surprised by all of them. We continued seeing nudibranchs and chestnut cowrys at each dive site. I saw 4 Giant White Dorids. The ledges had lots of invertebrates. Two of the dive sites had a lot of fish. The second dive off Cow Rock had the most fish. The third dive at the west end had the worst surge. The fourth dive was in kelp and we saw several sheephead and rockfish there. Overall it was a really good trip and I look forward to returning.

Where is Talcott Shoals? I've done a number of trips on the Peace, but we never dove there.

Where is Talcott Shoals?

Talcott Shoals is at the Northwest end of Santa Rosa Island. It's about a 5 hour boat ride from Ventura.

We're heading to Talcot Shoal on the 10th of March 2013 on the Peace as well. Not my favorite dive spot but it isn't too bad. Supposedly a lobster joint but I didn't see too many the last few times I've been out there. Hopefully we'd get to dive in the kelps and get to see the lion's mane nudies. It should be their breeding time right about now.

Passagedive: Yes, most of the divers were after lobster. Nobody got a limit though. I got 2 crab, 3 rockfish, 2 sheephead and 2 lingcod.

Fnfalman: We didn't see any Lions Mane nudibranchs in the kelp, but we saw lots of other types of nudis at all the dive sites.

bperc, Going out on the Peace on the 8th. Just making it to Talcott is an accomplishment. Good diving conditions-amazing! Finding lobsters there? Priceless.

Britt you didn't say anything about the giant male Sheephead I shot, then you shot and then you wrestled to the bottom. That was probably the highlight of that trip!

If only someone was recording the whole crazy episode. I am sure we could have won something with the video. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom