Tank Checker with Nitrox Analyser Bleed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HJM

New
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am looking to buy a tank pressure checker and also a nitrox analyser.

Up to now I've been using the analyser at whichever shop I get a fill, and definitely prefer the ones that use a calibrated bleed. Particularly as it seems you lose less gas.

But sometimes, especially when getting a tank out of the garage I haven't used for a month or so I'd like to confirm that the contents are what I expect (had a smudged and illegible nitrox sticker recently) - both in terms of O2 content and pressure.

I'm surprised that I can't find a pressure checker with a port for the analyser bleed - does such a device exist???

Another solution I thought of is to use an old 1st stage with an SPG and a bcd hose connector for the analyser bleed - I figure this would make it quick and easy to check both the pressure and O2 - what are your solutions?

I just analyse right from the tank valve. Crack it open a tad and check the o2.

I always analyse every tank on the day of the dive, and make a new label with date, MOD and mix and my initials, and expect my buddy to do the same.

The vast majority of the time I get a fill either the immediately before the dive or the afternoon before, so the labels are recent enough. And as only have two cylinders it's not like I'm managing huge quantities.

I've cracked the valve a little too far a number of times and just wasted gas, hence I'd prefer a calibrated bleed.

There are instructions for adding a pressure gauge to the Dive Soft Pro-flow limiter. This gives a fixed flow rate for consistent readings. Pretty sure they are on this site, just take a bit of digging to find them. I'm pretty sure you can use the good flow limiter with their basic analyzer.

I am looking to buy a tank pressure checker and also a nitrox analyser.

Up to now I've been using the analyser at whichever shop I get a fill, and definitely prefer the ones that use a calibrated bleed. Particularly as it seems you lose less gas.

But sometimes, especially when getting a tank out of the garage I haven't used for a month or so I'd like to confirm that the contents are what I expect (had a smudged and illegible nitrox sticker recently) - both in terms of O2 content and pressure.

I'm surprised that I can't find a pressure checker with a port for the analyser bleed - does such a device exist???

Another solution I thought of is to use an old 1st stage with an SPG and a bcd hose connector for the analyser bleed - I figure this would make it quick and easy to check both the pressure and O2 - what are your solutions?
Yoke or DIN?
You can certainly use a first stage that has a SPG and a LPI hose...then plug the analyzer into the LPI hose with a flow restrictor in it. Be sure and have a way to purge the system so you can get the reg off the tank. The simplest is to use a chopstick to press the Schrader valve in the LPI hose after the analyzer is removed.

Look at the offerings from OxyCheq...

I don't think there are. There isn't a standard connector size for gas analyzers, and a surface pressure gauge is designed to check pressure, not to be a pass-through for another system. The surface pressure gauge needs to be removed before going diving. A pass-through system could invite divers to screw the regulator 1st stage into the pass-through port, "cuz it's easier".

Besides, how much trouble is it to depressurize the pressure gauge, screw in the flow limiter, and open the valve again.

If you're using a Divesoft analyzer, get a QD Flow Limiter (Flow limiter for an inflator - divesoft.com - Divesoft.com). That way you can analyze your gas even when you have your regulators attached to the valve. Just put the little flow limiter on the connector hose, and push it into the LP inflator hose. You can check the pressure on your SPG while you're at it. I don't know why Divesoft hides this nifty little item, or why it doesn't just come standard with all of their analyzers.

If you're using a Divesoft analyzer, get a QD Flow Limiter (Flow limiter for an inflator - divesoft.com - Divesoft.com). That way you can analyze your gas even when you have your regulators attached to the valve. Just put the little flow limiter on the connector hose, and push it into the LP inflator hose. You can check the pressure on your SPG while you're at it. I don't know why Divesoft hides this nifty little item, or why it doesn't just come standard with all of their analyzers.
You can do this with many analyzers, not just Divesoft.

You can do this with many analyzers, not just Divesoft.
No doubt. It's just that this little flow limiter is well hidden on their website, and never mentioned anywhere on their site as a possible addition to any of their analyzers.

Folks should be aware of the different flow rates of these restrictors. The Divesoft limiters are 0.2 L/min and others are typically 10x that at 2 L/min. A Divesoft trimix analyzer will not give a He reading at the higher flow rate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom