Tank identifying tools... websites?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

3A is normal strength carbon steel. Cylinders made if this steel usually have rated working pressures of 2015 psi and lower. 3AA is 4130 high strength chrome molybdenum steel and is used for pressures above 2015 psi.

Last edited:
Sorry my bad...I knew the Faber mgf id thing - but I should not post late at night.

The low REE does imply a small diameter tank - either a 75.8 or perhaps their slim line 72.

My thanks goes out to all -
a great list of information , sites and charts for future use .
there does seem to be alot of the information that some of you 'just seem to know'
vs. making reference to the multitude of data sources -
i appreciate all the time and effort - thanks
marc

there does seem to be alot of the information that some of you 'just seem to know'
Tanks are pretty neat pieces of engineering, and over a few years I've become appreciative of their nuances. After working in a dive shop and with a university program, you start to get good at cylinder recognition. The only frustrations are ones that don't have any identifying marks that tell you cylinder size ("LP108" or "FX117" or S080", etc stamped on the neck), such as some Faber and PST cylinders. Maybe it's just me, but I would think that if you are manufacturing a product, writing what the product is on the product itself would seem like common sense. :shocked2:

But then it wouldn't be fun if the answers were just given away, would it? :D

As to the low REE number, I was guessing something in the 80-85cf range based off my PST LP80s, which are REE 66.3 (and the general idea that smaller volume cylinders usually have proportionally smaller REE numbers).

vs. making reference to the multitude of data sources -

Its just a language you get accustomed to :)
It helps ALOT if the codes are read off left to right as individual lines like they are "supposed" to be read.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom