Tank oxidation contributes to death

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Quote:
"Contributing factor/significant diagnosis included obesity."

50 pounds of fat will consume more oxygen than a tank full of rust.

Epinephelus once bubbled...
"one of the two tanks the decedent had been
using contained less than 1 percent oxygen.
... Contributing factor/significant diagnosis included obesity."
What a crock of BS. You breathe "less than 1 percent oxygen" at recreational dive depths and you're dead!. To drag any other physiological attribute into the equation is assinine, pointless, irrelevant and smacks of an agenda other than truth.
In addition to that, I don't believe the story anyway.
E. itajara

Hit a little close to home?

jonnythan,he does look a little full-figured in his profile but thats no reason to get offensive.As for 1% O2 in a scuba tank due to rust ............trying not to giggle .That was high shcool chemistry quoted earlier if you can't figure out the #s don't jive.No matter how it was setting that much rust would've caused at the least pitting leading to leakage.Did I miss something about this being doubles with the iso valve shut (another bonehead move).

I was on a diving expedition to Cuba. We were more divers than the operation had ever seen so they had to put every tank they had into circulation.

We did a wall dive. I set up on a steel 72...pressure was full.. 2250 psi. As soon as I got to depth...I became very light headed, dizzy etc...aborted the dive.

When I diconnected my reg, a slight back pressure produced an orange cloud of rust....examining the inlet filter, it was covered with rust. Cracked open the tank and a rust cloud showed. Showed that to the Cuban Divemasters and they appeared very concerned and removed the tank....Guesswhat? Next day we saw the same tank on another boat that was used in the expedition! They just swapped it out.

When we got back to the states, we opened the reg...internal guts were covered in rust residuel.

Another topic on the 1% O2...People go unconcious and die when the pp drops below 12% at the surface. At 100ft you can go as low as 3% to sustain life

jonnythan once bubbled...
Hit a little close to home?
Naw, I'm a sinker.
My point is that the obesity reference is totally irrelevant to survival on <1% oxygen, and raises another issue for absolutely no reason - unless there's some other agenda in the reporter's pocket beside the simple truth.
The pitching in of irrelevant agenda issues by reporters at all levels has become so rampant in the general practices of the fourth estate that it has become a real hot-button with me - when someone does it it leaps out at me and I just can't let it slide without comment.
Rick Inman once bubbled...
50 pounds of fat will consume more oxygen than a tank full of rust.
That, sir, is total BS.

E. itajara

Epinephelus once bubbled...

Naw, I'm a sinker.
My point is that the obesity reference is totally irrelevant to survival on <1% oxygen, and raises another issue for absolutely no reason - unless there's some other agenda in the reporter's pocket beside the simple truth.

Heh, I wasn't really implying anything.. the passion of your response amused me, though.

All those "contributing factors" are absolute horse@@@@.

DAN discredits itself when they publish such nonsense. If the tank truly contained 1% O2, there are no contributing factors to the accident that relate to the person's medical condition who was diving that tank!

I question the claim that internal rusting caused this incident. However, assuming it did, just for the sake of argument, that's the beginning and end of the accident analysis.

If the guy was a home brewer. If the tank really was in such bad shape he probably wouldnot have filled it at a dive shop. And if he was a home brewer, I think the poor condition of his tank is evidence that he might not have been running the smoothest operation.

Even so, 1% O2? How?

The curious thing is that they apparently did not find evidence of either CO or CO2 in the tank - at least not at levels that were worthy of a mention.

So what WAS in the tank? All N2? I find that hard to believe, unless he was mixing Nitrox with N2 and O2 (it can be done), and simply forgot to put IN the O2! THAT would account for the "less than 1%" of O2 (consider that an empty tank will have a small amount of O2, since "empty" doesn't mean "under vacuum."

Something smells funny on this report, and for DAN to then talk about "contributing factors" like obesity and the like, when the guy had a mix on his back that could not have possibly supported life, is just plain STUPID.

Something is not right with this report.

But, yes, that was my thought: he was mixing NITROX and forgot to put the O2 in. Pretty big mistake, but, given the shape this guy's tank was in, he might not be that bright.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom