Tank Position

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just a curious note but I have about five assorted old style plastic back plates. These were made in the 70s and 80s. They ALL have a molded in tunnel that has a built in stop at the top of the tunnel. The back plates were intended to be installed so that the stop rests agaisnt the shoulder of the tank. When installed as intended by the manufacturer the tanks sit low with the valve well down between the shoulder blades. Had the tunnel been made full length then the tanks could be set at any level but apparently they felt it important to position the tanks low. Curiously the position that results is the one recommended in scuba texts of that era, low. I have several older plates from the 60s, a Voit Snug Pack etc, it does not have a stop and the tunnel allows the tank to be positioned high or low or anywhere. This leads me to believe that at some point it was decided that constructing back plates to properly position the tank was important enough to build in a stop. N

John C. Ratliff:
Concerning DA's comments, I'd like to say a few words. What the heck is a dive master doing turning off someone's air? That seems bizzare to me, and bordering on sabotage. Someone who does that should be canned (fired). On the ice diving, or extreme cold water, that is a valid arguement.
It's happend to me more than once as a new diver, and is one of the reasons I now prefer to set up my own gear for every dive, and ask that divemasters keep their hands off my stuff. If you see a problem, I appreciate when you point it out, but don't just "fix it".

In any case, whether or not a dive is "demanding" enough to "warrant it", I like the peace of mind that comes from knowing that I can self-rescue, and I can't do that if I can't reach my valves. After all, diving emergencies are always happen when you aren't planning to deal with them, and they're only as bad as your inability to mitigate the problems. Saying it's okay not to reach your valves because it's only a recreational dive sounds to me like saying it's okay not to wear a seatbelt because you're only driving to the supermarket.

John C. Ratliff:
Concerning DA's comments, I'd like to say a few words. What the heck is a dive master doing turning off someone's air? That seems bizzare to me, and bordering on sabotage. Someone who does that should be canned (fired). On the ice diving, or extreme cold water, that is a valid arguement.
It's happend to me more than once as a new diver, and is one of the reasons I now prefer to set up my own gear for every dive, and ask that divemasters keep their hands off my stuff. If you see a problem, I appreciate when you point it out, but don't just "fix it".

In any case, whether or not a dive is "demanding" enough to "warrant it", I like the peace of mind that comes from knowing that I can self-rescue, and I can't do that if I can't reach my valves. After all, diving emergencies usually happen when you aren't planning to deal with them, and they're only as bad as your inability to mitigate the problems. Saying it's okay not to reach your valves because it's only a recreational dive sounds to me like saying it's okay not to wear a seatbelt because you're only driving to the supermarket.

It's not a problem at all, until it is.

MSilvia:

In any case, whether or not a dive is "demanding" enough to "warrant it", I like the peace of mind that comes from knowing that I can self-rescue, and I can't do that if I can't reach my valves. After all, diving emergencies usually happen when you aren't planning to deal with them, and they're only as bad as your inability to mitigate the problems. Saying it's okay not to reach your valves because it's only a recreational dive sounds to me like saying it's okay not to wear a seatbelt because you're only driving to the supermarket.

It's not a problem at all, until it is.

On a boat at St John, (names of people, shops, boats ommitted for legal purposes) after I identified myself as an instructor, I was asked numerous, shall we say "odd" questions. After I checked out all my gear and configured it to my liking, and double checked as I always do, I took a seat for a relocation. Having done my checks there was no need to go through the checks again, however, I had a sneaky suspicion so I did all my checks again before entering the water, and sure enough my tank valve had been closed, I knew something was wrong, but I turned just turned it on non-chalant (in case anyone was watching).

I couldn't believe it later on the pier when one of the divers on the boat came up to me in private and said he saw the captain messing with my tank on the ride over! Whatever someone's psychotic motive for whatever they do, be sure you are responsible for yourself. It's like an unattended bag in the airport, its only good for the last time you checked it and as long as it hasn't been out of your site.

DiverBuoy:
After I checked out all my gear and configured it to my liking, and double checked as I always do, I took a seat for a relocation. Having done my checks there was no need to go through the checks again, however, I had a sneaky suspicion so I did all my checks again before entering the water, and sure enough my tank valve had been closed, I knew something was wrong, but I turned just turned it on non-chalant (in case anyone was watching).

I couldn't believe it later on the pier when one of the divers on the boat came up to me in private and said he saw the captain messing with my tank on the ride over!
I don't know about "messing with tanks", but I've been on several boats where the crew "helpfully" turned air off to avoid freeflow problems during a long ride out to the divesite. When there are alternative interpretations of an action, I usually give people the benefit of the doubt.

I probably should have mentioned that explicitly, but I do the same, "until proven guilty". The part I left out is I probably dug myself a hole, because as a new instructor I was all PADI powdered and greased and patting my full belly of Koolaid, I probably was a bit overly critical about the lack of procedure on the boat - and at one point all the suspicious questions started in. I was like a little PADI disciple doing some PADI 5-star facility review LOL, like I said whatever the motive - retaliation, the hope to humiliate me after the reign of criticism, I'll likely never know. But after the whole thing was said and done, I definitely was left with the old salty can dish it out - feeling.

The tank should be low enough so that it won't hit you in the back of the head. Been there and done it. Stars in the water should be in the sky, not your head.

Buy the way John, do you know how to cook a coot (or in Louisiana, a puldue) so it is eatable? First you slice the breast into very thin strips and then you place them on a pizza and cook it in an oven preheated to 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Next, you place the pizza in a pizza box. Then you take the pizza out of the box, throw away the pizza and eat the box.

Stan

serambin:
Buy the way John, do you know how to cook a coot (or in Louisiana, a puldue) so it is eatable? First you slice the breast into very thin strips and then you place them on a pizza and cook it in an oven preheated to 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Next, you place the pizza in a pizza box. Then you take the pizza out of the box, throw away the pizza and eat the box.

You
are
my
hero

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom