Tank\Valve Maintenance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's so bad in many ways. If salt spray is getting in the valve face and you don't get it out of there before a fill you will get salt in the cylinder, salt and steel do not mix and you'd be facing a serious rust problem.

Another way to deal with it is to take a small rag with you and just dry the valve/first stage connection and then cover it while you switch cylinders, then put your protector back on the cylinder. I would rinse it in fresh water as soon as you get off the boat and then blow it dry. On an AL cylinder used in salt water rinse it with fresh water as well, there is a spot where salt water can remain and cause corrosion damage if it's not rinsed out.

IMO a fresh water rinse is mandatory for any cylinder/gear used on a salt water dive. It will prevent problems.

I have a question. I went today after work to pick up my new Luxfer Al 80 N / B 3,300 psi. When i got home from the shop i was putting my tank away next to my other Luxfer AL 80 N / B 3,300 psi when something caught my eye on on the valve of the new tank. The Valve said :11:3,000 PSI Service Pressure.Looked at the valve on my other Luxfer and it said 3,300 PSI Service Pressure.Now i took a look at the markings on the new tank like i did at the shop and it had 3,300.Great wrong :shakehead:valve on the tank so i called the shop and told them the problem they said it was fine :11:to use and after i use it bring it in and they will but the right valve on.Well guy s what should i do use it or being it back right away over the weekend :confused:

I'd do what your shop said, fill pressures can get higher on your normal AL80's than 3000 psi and the valve won't go boom. I'd use it and bring it back later on and let them put the other valve in it, sounds like that's the plan.

I sure wouldn't worry about it, expecially if it meant missing some diving. The extra 300 psi is a pretty small amount in the big picture - tanks get overfilled 300 psi all the time. And the pressure rating for the valve is for the burst disk alone, and the disks burst pressure rating is based on the hydrotest pressure, which is 5000 psi.

:DThanks guy s for the info. I am taking it back in on Monday Morning to have the right valve put on. Btw the shop even called me this afternoon to remind me about the valve mix up ,at least there honest about there mistake .:14:

Everything is corrected with the valve ,i now have the right valve 3,300 ( Service Pressure ) on and i also met the woman who had my valve on her tank so we were both happy we got thing s taken care of.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom