Tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd like also to note the change in balance with different tanks. When you have a heavy steel tank (say HP130), you have to be very flat, if you roll, you'll feel how the tank sways pushing you off balance to one side (there where the tank falls). Therefore, you need to balance the tank on your spine perfectly and remain horizontal throughout the dive. Too high of a single tank adapter, it will make tank too high and will make it even harder to balance. Must make sure you use two bands to hold it or its butt will sway, making it harder to control. However, if you wear an aluminum 80, regular, and put your weight in the belt pockets, the ones facing the bottom (when you scuba dive), you distribute the weight more evenly around your axis, thus, if you have to roll, your tank will not tag on you so strongly, you could roll with ease. Also, with weights in the pockets placed below you, it makes it easier to be well buoyant, less needed to balance the tank on your back. Therefore, I really dislike weight pockets that go on the band around the tank.

Overall, there are pluses and minuses. To each their own. I think that after a few years of diving hobby, you'll accumulate many tanks as one never fits all purpose.

Example of my collection, only 3 years passed: 2 x HP130, 3 x LP85, 2 x 80al, 1 x HP15 (pony). I am sure people here have grander collections spanning 1700's, 1800's, Reagan years, and Clinton administration.

PS: If you can rent a similar tank before buying it, do it. Probably will take you a long time to adjust your setup to balance with a new tank (that day of the rental), but it will give you an idea what you'll be diving with before shelling out the green.

I am a strong believer into taking time to adjust my weights around me to give the best balance, don't want to fight it while I dive. Therefore, I have plenty of weights, different denominations, and some one pounders with clips to move around to dial it in with precision before solidifying the setup. Unfortunatelly, it takes time and, perhaps, more than a couple of dives.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom