Tanzania Diving - an insider view (thoughts?)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the excellent information. I had to look up "bommie". We are staying at Kervan Saray, just south of Manta.

Good; that's where i stay most of the time I go to Pemba. (Kervan Saray = Swahili Divers). Emilio's Back Passage featuring The Crack is also another good one. Manta is 15 minutes to the north by boat (depending on whose boat it is). Manta Resort seldom go as far as the Fundo Gap as their boat is too slow, and don't go to Njao Gap that often either. If i'm not diving at Kervan Saray/Swahili Divers, I stay at Fundu Lagoon in the south. I was there at the beginning of the month for a quick visit to take some images for them.

Is there decent snorkeling off the beach at KS? Would you know if there is good birding on Pemba?

No. The fringing reef is a bit too far to swim to, and right in front of the resort the top of the wall is a bit too deep for most snorkellers at 15 to 30 feet.
Birds: Birders come to Pemba for the Java sparrow (two spots for it in Chake Chake, one by the hospital, one by the Old Mission House), the four endemics: the Pemba Scops Owl, the Pemba Green Pigeon, Pemba Sunbird, and Pemba White-eye. Full bird list here Pemba Island bird checklist - Avibase - Bird Checklists of the World

Thanks! If you ever find yourself in need of information on Glacier National Park, Yellowstone, or any Utah parks, I'm your man.

Thanks, though between eastern and southern Africa, Papua New Guinea, the Galapagos, Indonesia, a Caribbean shark and whale trip, and checking out new destinations for my company's portfolio, and attending dive shows, my schedule is already rammed full. I'll have a stand at Our World Underwater in Chicago, Beneath the Sea in NJ, and Long Beach CA next year, as well as at DEMA. If you are in the area, come and say hello.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom