Tawali or Tufi?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rwhiting

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'll be visiting family in Melbourne in late Feb. I'm hoping to get up to PNG, but won't have time to do a liveaboard, and am thinking about 6 days/5 nights at Tawali or Tufi. Any thoughts on one versus the other? Hows the weather this time of year there? Any other PNG options to consider, flying from Melbourne?
Thanks in advance for the help.
Rich

There's also Loloata where you wouldn't have to take another flight to get to.

As far as I know, late Feb is the rainy season, so visibility can be variable.

I've never personally stayed at any of the three resorts, but have had many friends like each one for different reasons.

I have stayed and dove at Loloata. We came from New Britain and diving in New Britain was better than Loloata. The diving was still good just not AS good. Loloata was okay, not a 3 star, but the food was good. We were there in the month of July, so I'm not knowledgeble (sp) about the rainy season. It was sunny every day of our trip and we were in PNG for two weeks.....it did rain two nights.

Hello Rwhitting, I've been to Tufi a couple of times and Milne Bay a couple of times, but not to Tawali specificly. The diving in both is great. One difference will probably be the length of the boat rides, I'd bet that there are more sites closer to Tawali than Tufi. But, you might get a little more big stuff on the outer barrier reefs/sea mounts of Tufi and the viz will probably be a little better than MB. The big stuff in MB is on seamounts that can be a ways out, I'm not sure how far Tawali's boats go. Also there will probably be a bit more critter action in MB. But there's critters everywhere in PNG, if you know where to look. Right of the Tufi dock we found lots of critters-Mandarin fish, pipe fish, Flambouyant Cuttle fish, can't remember them all. Hard choice, but the weather may make it for you, as the wind at Tufi can be very strong whereas MB has lots of shelter. Thre may be a way to dive the Blackjack B-17 wreck from Tufi, an amazing dive, well worth doing. Get the Lonely Planet Guide, it has detailed weather info. Happy trails -Andy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom