Taxes Lowered?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bkpix

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just heard that the Honduran tax on trips there was lowered from 16% to 4%. Great news if it is true! Has anyone else heard about this?

i haven't heard anything. seems highly unlikely as the world bank is pushing honduras to get on top of tax collection as part of their credit upgrading and right after that business' in both utila town and the west end were levied big fines and temporarily shut down for non payment of taxes.
kind of ironic as the bay islands were declared a tax free zone a few years ago.

no idea if it's true or not, but given the ongoing world economic crisis (negatively impacting tourism) and the sucky diving I experienced @ Co Co View a few years ago, sounds like tourists have been voting with their pocket books to patronize countries with somewhat less of a 'let's squeeze the wealthy gringo' mentality. 16% trip tax...that's outrageous !!!

I'd like to offer a different perspective. Many U.S. municipalities impose a variety of taxes on different things. On a business trip to Seattle, I paid a base hotel rate of $249 a night. On top of that was a $21.41 room tax (roughly 8.6%) and an occupancy tax of $17.43 (7%) making a total of roughly 15.6%. My rental car base rate for the same period of time was $132. However, on top of the base car rental rate, there were $58.87 additional charges (roughly 44.6%) not including any insurance or fuel.

So, when it comes down to it, the U.S., is worse in some locations than Honduras.

I just wish the airlines would lower their rates!

I just heard that the Honduran tax on trips there was lowered from 16% to 4%. Great news if it is true! Has anyone else heard about this?

Some bureaucrat probably accidentally posted the tax, pre-graft...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom