Taxi From Airport

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mediumone

Contributor
Reaction score
We've always walked across the street and hailed a taxi close to Diego's. This last Saturday when we got to the corner of Airport Blvd and 65th, a guy standing there directed us to walk down about three blocks to get a taxi. I thought he was messing with me, and walked to Diego's. Someone else, (don't remember who), said to keep going and pointed to several taxis in the distance in a queue --- still about 3 blocks away.

The sidewalks on Cozumel would never be described as ADA compliant, but they are especially rough along this stretch.

I learned that this is the closest to the airport that they may pick up passengers. I don't have any more information at this time, but will try to learn more, and post if/when I do.

This is our last trip with a checked bag, so still may make the trek in the future, but it certainly would give pause for thought if that's your custom.

This sort of thing has happened occasionally over the years to encourage arriving tourists to take the shuttles, or to reduce traffic congestion at the circle, or both. It may or may not be a lasting change to the way things are done.

Speaking strictly for myself, going to my hotel on a shuttle is fine with me. DSFDF and YMMV.

had the same experience around a year ago, we had to walk past Diego's before getting a taxi. I forget the reason the driver said they are no longer allowed to wait closer to the airport

Right at, or just past Diegos was just fine in April.
As I said, this kind of thing comes and goes and it has for several years. It is about a 275 yard trek from the airport doors to Diego's Taco. It isn't clear from the start of this thread how much farther mediumone had to go to get a cab, but it's another ~300 yards to the intersection of Calle 14 Norte and Avenida 8 de Octobre Norte, which is 2-1/2 blocks farther southwest down the street Diego's is on. Source: Google Earth.

That's quite a hike.

I have no problem taking the shared shuttle. I don’t want to have to haul my bags around any further than I have to.

I have no problem taking the shared shuttle. I don’t want to have to haul my bags around any further than I have to.
I'm with you, especially since "traveling light" does not seem to be in our vocabulary. :D

Another thing to consider is that apart from reading about it in here or somewhere else on line, you won't find out until you get to the circle or Diego's if the sort of thing that this thread is about is going on. It could be that you are only halfway to where you can get a cab.

Yup. Had the same experience a month ago. I only had my carry-on so I just walked down to Mary Carmen. Took about 20 minutes.

Yup. Had the same experience a month ago. I only had my carry-on so I just walked down to Mary Carmen. Took about 20 minutes.
Wow. That's about 1.75 miles. Was it hot?

Wow. That's about 1.75 miles. Was it hot?
Not too bad, actually. Thinking back on it now, it probably took me closer to 40 minutes.

I'm a New Yorker... we walk everywhere so that distance is kind of normal for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom