Tech/GUE CCR/RB80 Configuations - Wing Choice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Madddogggy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hi All,

Interested in learning from those that are dive a CCR in the GUE/Tech configration. Which wing are you currently diving and which other wings have you tried? What went into the your decision to use one over another? Various variables that come to mind are: lift capacity, hose routing, size (does it taco?), restricting CL expansion, etc.

Thank you in advance for your response.

The biggest consideration is the width of the wing. Hose routing on the FATHOM is very simple, and I see no need for holes through the wing with our unit, other units may vary quite a bit.

The Halcyon Evolve 60 works great on the FATHOM tech rig (GUE configuration/onboard bailout). I initially used a Halcyon Evolve 40, and it worked fine, but once I tried the Evolve 60 I never went back. 40lbs of lift was more than enough, but the 60lb wing was wider which allowed the tanks to be cradled more. This created a much more stable diving experience.

TLDR: The exact same backplate, wing, and (almost) regulator setup as a set of double LP104’s :)

RB80 or JJ-CCR?
For JJ-CCR I use the "older" standard JJ-Wing. With this wing the lift is sometimes not sufficient. Means when using more stages (3+) with heavy gases (50% without He, 32%,...). It is diveable, but e.g. the rescue drill, where you only use one wing for both divers, is not possible with multiple heavy stages. The stage bottles and the back gas need to be as "neutral" as possible -> more He everywhere except of the 100% O2 ;-)
To the best of my knowledge the newer custom wings of halcyon have a bit more lift.
Another option for a JJ wing is Kamaqua. They also build a Wing for the GUE-JJ with a bit more lift. But up to now I didn't find a way to buy it in Europe.

Currently use the 45lbs Halcyon wing on my GUE JJ with D7s Steel 300 bar. This is absolutely not to recommend. This is barely adequate lift. I dive both freshwater caves and saltwater ocean. Ideally I would have a larger wing.

Thank you @Imla , @RedSix , and @MattK911 for you feedback,

This is for a JJ with lp50s (D7s). I picked up a custom Halycon CCR (listed at 35lbs/15.8kg?) wing, but after more thought I was concerned that it wouldn't provide enough lift in some failure scenarios depending on which gases I was carrying. I was contemplating using my Halcyon Explorer 55 wing, if it checks enough boxes.

I've got a Halcyon Evolve JJCCR wing, the newer style that has the gusset in the sides to allow better expansion. That seems to have enough lift, and is wide enough to support the can and the cylinders nicely to trim out. I go that one because it was the recommended one for the set up when I did my course. I was using a standard 40lb wing for a while which crushed the CLs on the surface, and was only just enough buoyancy with a single stage of 50%.

Rich

I've got a Halcyon Evolve JJCCR wing, the newer style that has the gusset in the sides to allow better expansion. That seems to have enough lift, and is wide enough to support the can and the cylinders nicely to trim out. I go that one because it was the recommended one for the set up when I did my course. I was using a standard 40lb wing for a while which crushed the CLs on the surface, and was only just enough buoyancy with a single stage of 50%.

Rich
@Rich1280
thank you for the response.

I dive a Scubapro tek-wing, 60lb, on a SF2. 2x6.8L carbon DIL tanks with LOLA valves and soft manifold. 3L O2.

Attachments

• tempImageNx0Of3.png
    tempImageNx0Of3.png
    769.7 KB · Views: 101
For RB80, I use a 45lb wing with the lp50 rack and a 55lb wing for the 85s and 120s.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom