Tech/GUE CCR/RB80 Configuations - Wing Choice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For RB80, I use a 45lb wing with the lp50 rack and a 55lb wing for the 85s and 120s.
@PfcAJ ,

When your diving in the ocean at depths greater than 75m (250ft), do you feel the wing you are using is providing sufficient lift?

Hi All,

Interested in learning from those that are dive a CCR in the GUE/Tech configration. Which wing are you currently diving and which other wings have you tried? What went into the your decision to use one over another? Various variables that come to mind are: lift capacity, hose routing, size (does it taco?), restricting CL expansion, etc.

Thank you in advance for your response.

I use the Dive Rite Classic XT which is a 60lb wing. It's wide but has fairly straight sides which I prefer. I sink like a brick so the lift is very much appreciated when I am diving with tanks bigger than LP50's on my rack.
The inflator is off to the side so it comes up between the left bottle and the canister which is good.
Doesn't taco because while it is 26" wide it is similar in width to the rack so it behaves nicely.
I use my rack with either a Meg with OTS lungs or something more akin to a KISS Sidekick in the middle so CL restriction isn't an issue but it is a balance between wing width and how much gas you have in the wing vs. maintaining min-loop volume. I've dove the GUE JJ a few times and even with big lungs I never had an issue with CL volume.

@PfcAJ ,

When your diving in the ocean at depths greater than 75m (250ft), do you feel the wing you are using is providing sufficient lift?
Diving that deep you should be in a drysuit and the absolute volume of the wing should be identical at 75m as it is at 75cm of depth since there is no real compression going on. You shouldn't be diving that deep in a thick wetsuit IMO, 3mm or shorty if it's super tropical maybe, but a 3mm isn't going to matter in terms of compression. Dives to that depth should not be done in a 7mm wetsuit or thicker.

@PfcAJ ,

Depth doesn’t matter. The tanks you’re using are what matters.

Like the 45lb wing is just not enough if you have a bunch of nitrox stages. It’s just right with al40s for deco and/or neutral-ish stages like 18/45 and lighter. If I intended to use the 50 rack with a bunch of heavy stages then I’d have to bump up.

Depth doesn’t matter. The tanks you’re using are what matters.

Like the 45lb wing is just not enough if you have a bunch of nitrox stages. It’s just right with al40s for deco and/or neutral-ish stages like 18/45 and lighter. If I intended to use the 50 rack with a bunch of heavy stages then I’d have to bump up.
@PfcAJ.

Thank you for the response . Since I have never dove an RB80,but I am familiar with the physics behind how it works. I was curios to learn from your experience. Mentioning a depth just began the conversation with a dive that would require several stages/deco bottles and require thought of which wing to use.

One of my goals with the original, was to learn from others successes and "learning experiences" of others. I wish I had infinite time and money to try various wings and make several mistakes, but alas I don't.:sharkattack:

Happy Holidays.

I use the Dive Rite Classic XT which is a 60lb wing. It's wide but has fairly straight sides which I prefer. I sink like a brick so the lift is very much appreciated when I am diving with tanks bigger than LP50's on my rack.
The inflator is off to the side so it comes up between the left bottle and the canister which is good.
Doesn't taco because while it is 26" wide it is similar in width to the rack so it behaves nicely.
I use my rack with either a Meg with OTS lungs or something more akin to a KISS Sidekick in the middle so CL restriction isn't an issue but it is a balance between wing width and how much gas you have in the wing vs. maintaining min-loop volume. I've dove the GUE JJ a few times and even with big lungs I never had an issue with CL volume.
@tbone1004 .

Thank you for the response and mentioning the DR Classic XT. It was not on my radar. Also your experience with the GUE JJ wing reinforces my thoughts.

Happy Holidays.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom