Technical Divers conducting limited In-Water Recompression

What is your experience of IWR?

• I have attempted Improvised IWR with failure.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have attempted Formalized IWR with failure.

• I have never previously considered IWR.

• What is IWR?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If IWR does not work, it is obvious, but proving that it works is virtually impossible due to the vagaries of DCS. It is a path of last resort, and only somewhat better than prayer for sinners.

Case #1 is very interesting IWR case studies

Cheers

JC

It sure is, which is the kind of thing I had in mind when I asked Andy to define "failure". Even if the diver wasn't completely asymptomatic it would have been a success compared to what happened to his buddy.

Case 10 has me convinced too.

R..

BTW, without sounding too much like a hysterical little girl screaming the name of her favorite rock star.... It's really nice to see some of the heavy-weights in our sport check in for a little chit-chat now and then.

R..

Tangentially related - I was skim reading of Bret Gilliam's book, Deep Diving, where he recounted various attempts at setting the world record depth using air as a backgas (pretty harrowing, with a death rate of slightly above 50% per reported attempt).

However, one of the things that interested me was the fairly casual reference in various places to minor DCS symptoms being present upon surfacing, but being resolved upon IWR - like IWR was simply expected (see for example page 41).

Google books helpfully gives you the entire book online for free: Deep diving: an advanced guide to ... - Google Books

hope it helps thoes who seek some information.......

If IWR does not work, it is obvious, but proving that it works is virtually impossible due to the vagaries of DCS. It is a path of last resort, and only somewhat better than prayer for sinners.

i have not done enough tech dives to really get into this discussion, but maybe john can elaborate on this some

the navy has included an inwater treetment sechudle to their treatment tables that all navy and commerical divers have. how often they are used is unknown to me due to the fact that if they are going to do deco dives they more then likely have a chamber onsite.

i am sure the research into this was extensive in order for them to publish such a chart. while it might not be fool proof, it sure does seem better then just sitting on the deck of a boat.

For commercial divers, according to OSHA, operators are required to have a chamber on site for all decompression dives, all dives over 100 feet, and all mixed gas dives. The chamber has to be capable of pressing a diver down to 165' for Table 6A, a luxury you will most likely never encounter, as scuba diving injuries rarely see anything but Table 6 at 60', and that is a whole other thread.

You can see what else OSHA wants if you have a little time on your hands. Scuba diving is in here as well.

CPL 02-00-143 - 29 CFR Part 1910, Subpart T – Commercial Diving Operations

Anyway, that is commercial diving, and military diving is even more restrictive. I am not up on the latest, however I am relatively confident that if they have a topside chamber, they would use that as opposed to the very risky venture of IWR.

Cheers

JC

I know of one diver who was able to complete successful IWR. He had finished a cave dive, and after doffing his gear saw symptoms of the skin bends. I don't know what his schedule for this dive. It's not a DCS hit, but it was a successful treatment.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom