Technical Diving Instructor Trainers - where, when & how?

The most important attribute in a Technical Instructor Trainer (IT) is:

• Emphasis on IT, but must have tech experience

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Emphasis on neither, fast-track is okay because it grows the community

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think it's easy to get confused between the level of teaching certification and the level of an instructor's diving certification. You can't teach what you don't know. Check-marks have to exist in both areas before any program can be offered and any evaluation made. As far as your question "Do all agencies require instructors to reach a generic/recreational instructor trainer level, before they can teach tech instructors?" I can only relate the policy of CMAS, NAUI and ACUC where an 'Instructor Trainer' is a level of teaching competence, not diving competence. The IT must be certified for the environment appropriate to the training program being conducted.

This is a great topic but does open up another huge can of worms. I can completely understand the CD requirement from the point of view these people have already met the high standards/fees/brainwashing (delete as appropriate) set by PADI for the training of their future instructors. However, the harsh reality as 95% of these are not fit to teach technical courses at student level in my opinion, never mind instructor level. The even sadder part of this is there seems a lot of this 95% teaching future Technical instructors.

Although not all is lost, in terms of the IT role in training instructors the main function is to supervise course standards and technical exams, not necessarily teach the in-water skills, this can be done by another Instructor (it may need to be staff instructor?). I have a similar outlook to yourself in that I don't see any benefit in moving up the PADI scale to MI as I'd need to agree to teach only PADI courses - not something I am keen on doing for a whole host of various reasons. I did make the step to Staff Instructor (which is ridiculously easy!) so I could help out with more Technical Instructor courses, but unless you are buddies with a CD the staff instructor rating is as much use as a jelly spanner, although it's not exactly a small fortune to pay if you already have done a course.

I know from my time at Divers Network how many ridiculous inquiries we had from CDs here in the Philippines (some have left, others are still here - most were 'Platinum') wanting to go from zero technical experience to Trimix IT in about 2 weeks. Luckily Tom didn't have time to bother with these people but it clear others did - you don't need to look far to spot ITs who wouldn't even get through a decent technical course as a student - and yet these people are now ITs!

On the other hand it's not just PADI, there's plenty of other agencies out there will ITs who simply don't have the skills to be teaching student level courses - and once again these people are teaching new instructors, basically it's a vicious circle.

I'd agree there should be a second IE type process for technical instructors, right now it's been left to ITs - maybe even cross examaning between ITs from different agencies (never going to happen but wouldn't it be nice!). PADI as ever is leading the way in dodgy IT's but lets not forget there are also so very good instructors and ITs out there teaching PADI, not to mention som terrible ones in every other agency.

I know of at least a few PADI TecRec IT's in Asia Pacific that are not CD for recreational courses.
At least one of them does not teach with other agencies...
My understanding is that their instructor candidates will need to take the written exams during an IE.
Have you asked your regional office or technical consultants?
Am getting curious about this now...

Andy,

I have actually spoken to PADI about this problem. They are working on a program to allow Tech Instructors to become Tech IT's without becoming an Course Director. They hope to roll it in 2013 but it could be delayed. Right now, the only way to accomplish it is to become a Tech IT in another agency and crossover to PADI.

Scott

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom