Technical diving is always a little more fun when it has a purpose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks Ron!

Trimix in the doubles on your back based on the cu ft and everything else waiting in the wings?

The numbers in the () brackets are total dive time?

What you do with this software program is decide what mix you want for the deepest part of the dive and how long you want to be there using it. In the case above, he breathed the bottom mix from the start of the descent. Some people would instead breathe either the 35/25 or the nitrox 50 for the first part of the descent and switch once it is deeper and safer. You don't have to get very deep at all for the 10/70 to be safe, but some people prefer not to chance it.

You also decide what you want to breathe for the mid point of the ascent, in this case the 35/25. Many people would use 21/35 instead.

You also decide what you want to do for decompression. Nitrox 50 and oxygen are very popular choices. Some people use nitrox 80 instead of oxygen, but that argument can get very heated.

Plug those factors in and a few other details in and you get what you see above. The numbers in parentheses are the run time--at this many minutes into the dive, this is where you should be.

Thanks John.

Definitely a scientific, detailed process! I'm glad people have figured this stuff out so we have the ability to go deep and explore.

Mike

What you do with this software program is decide what mix you want for the deepest part of the dive and how long you want to be there using it. In the case above, he breathed the bottom mix from the start of the descent. Some people would instead breathe either the 35/25 or the nitrox 50 for the first part of the descent and switch once it is deeper and safer. You don't have to get very deep at all for the 10/70 to be safe, but some people prefer not to chance it.

You also decide what you want to breathe for the mid point of the ascent, in this case the 35/25. Many people would use 21/35 instead

+1. Those "some people" would include me. I just wanted to get a quick deco schedule posted to give an idea what such a dive might look like.

Going onto 21/35 deeper only adds a couple of minutes to the schedule, but reduces minimum gas requirements for the bottom gas substantially.

+1. Those "some people" would include me. I just wanted to get a quick deco schedule posted to give an idea what such a dive might look like.

I understand what you mean. Making one of your gases both a travel gas for descent and a deco gas takes several extra steps. It really had me puzzled the first time I did it.

Did you notice how much time you actually get at 260 feet after all that effort?

The last time I did a dive like that, when we surfaced, the first thing my buddy said when we surfaced was that was about as far as he was willing to go in the ratio of bottom time to ascent time.

Did you notice how much time you actually get at 260 feet after all that effort?

Yes Sir, but men have walked a long way to see what was on the other side of yonder mountain range too!

I'm more interested in being able to safely go to deep wrecks and I read somewhere onhere about a shelf off N.C. with Megalodon teeth etc...Just eventually think I would like to venture beyond 60'

Mike

this dive we were on 15/48 on the bottom. we typically try to keep our working PO2 around 1.3, but based on what gas the team had leftover from a previous dive and ease of blending, 15/48 made life a bit easier, and only bumped our PO2 up to 1.4 for the max depth of 270ft. most of the dive ended up between 250-260ft. for deco we carried 21/35, 50 and O2. The descent took 4 minutes, and we spent another 12 on the bottom. total run time was 73 minutes plus a few extra to the surface. we are still anxiously awaiting any info on the origin of the anchor, but should have some answers soon.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?m1owz1

The last time I did a dive like that, when we surfaced, the first thing my buddy said when we surfaced was that was about as far as he was willing to go in the ratio of bottom time to ascent time.

that's why I love dives like this in the caribbean. yeah, we are hanging in deco, but we're still playing with sharks, turtles,rays, dolphins, and all the other usual reef suspects. true, the bottom was the real fun part, but the rest of the dive is still a blast. Although, it can get a bit distracting as well. Trying to take a picture of a mantis shrimp while making a gas switch is difficult, and stupid, trust me...

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?1wcpla

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom