techniques to improve breathing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I also have seen some devices on Ebay that claim to improve breathing, any comments?:idk:
without looking at them i would say they're rubbish ;-) (except for the one you have to keep a little plastic ball at a certain hight in a cylinder, these are also used for lung-training after surgeries and stuff).

besides that i wouldn't do any "risky" breathing-exercises when you're alone since if you pass out... not good ;-) this is one of the basic rules you learn from apnoe-divers who are training hard for their to control their breath.

every now and then i try this: inhale for 10 seconds (not only to your chest but also to your stomach), exhale for 20 seconds (and if you think you can't exhale anymore there'll be still be more than enough air... you'll see).

what surely is best is to do cardio and endurance (do you say that?) training. the cardio training will help your bloodpressure and the endurance will tell your body to be happy with less oxygen in the tissues ;-) at least that's what i was told in physiology.

Thomas

without looking at them i would say they're rubbish ;-) (except for the one you have to keep a little plastic ball at a certain hight in a cylinder, these are also used for lung-training after surgeries and stuff)................

Hadn't thought of that. Yes, that might be useful (EDIT: to help visualize an even exhale, now if you could get it to work in both directions...). Hmmm.

Last edited:
The core problem causing high air consumption on scuba dives is not physiological.

Streamlining, proper trim and effective buoyancy control play the largest role in reducing your air requirements.

All the cardio in the world won't make a significant difference unless you are relaxed and efficient in the water.

The core problem causing high air consumption on scuba dives is not physiological.

Streamlining, proper trim and effective buoyancy control play the largest role in reducing your air requirements.

All the cardio in the world won't make a significant difference unless you are relaxed and efficient in the water.

Two other point though the "trim" and "streamlining" gets in the ball park is proper weighting and avoiding most use of one's hands in scuba. In my work with students getting their weighting correct (not overweighted) and stopping the happy hands (swimming with or using hands excessively) do more than most things to reduce air consumption.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom