TekDiveGirl / Kimber Hawkens Thurman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was reading some of my posts to Scuba Board about my visits to her while she was in Scripps Rehab .. you can tell I was absolutely devoted to her even before we became a couple .. She was my focus, She was my purpose .. Not that She needed me to help her, I am certain She would have found a way to get things done without me, I just felt that anything I could do to make her life easier, better, more fun, was not a task or burden but kind of a duty and such a small thing to do for her. :heart:
She was my Purpose , my Partner, and my Joy ... You filled my life Sweetie and I'll remember our unique adventures for the rest of my life
... I miss you Honey
❤
:jump:

EDIT: oh I am sorry, I already posted this here before , but ... I think about her every day, and it's all still true :heart:

123945340_4151849771497891_1543739861967863646_n (1).jpg

46033879_2443264609023091_116215690406395904_n.jpg

45966174_2443266589022893_7224830338487287808_n.jpg

Kimber prime rib 2.jpg

The Chart House in Cardiff 11/11/2018
My Sweetie's favorite place to go for prime rib ... " I'll have the Prime Rib, Calhan Cut, very rare "Mooing" :jump:
heh .. I could tell if they got it right if it was hard to cut , if it was easy to cut then it wasn't rare enough :wink: ... they got it right almost every time :)
I was conscious of having Kimber enjoy her steak while it was still hot so as soon as it arrived I would cut only a small section up and give the plate back to her :heart:

This is something she sent to me just before I took her to take it at SDSU .. her professors were adamant that she apply and is why she took the GRE to get into graduate school .. she got quite a kick out of his name Dan Berry :)
what a glowing recommendation :heart: :jump:

March 26, 2019 To: MS in Rehabilitation Counseling at San Diego State University Re: Letter of Recommendation for Kimberly Thurman
I am writing this letter support of Kimberly (Kimber) Thurman’s application for the Rehabilitation Counseling Master’s program at San Diego State University.

I met Kimber in the fall of 2017 through the Faculty Mentorship Program at California State University San Marcos (CSUSM), and Kimber joined my Social and Affective Psychophysiology (SAP) lab in the spring of 2019. During the time that I have known Kimber, it is clear that she is resolute in her dedication to becoming a rehabilitation counselor. Kimber stands out among her peers in my lab and as a student. She is a capable, budding scholar, and a passionate, active citizen in the university and local community. She is a joy to work with and without a doubt one of the most promising students that I’ve ever had the opportunity to mentor. I cannot wait to see Kimber realize her full potential through focused study in your graduate program. It is with great enthusiasm that I offer her my strongest recommendation for this scholarship.

Below I will convey why I think Kimber is the perfect fit for your program.
Kimber has grit. When we first met, I learned about Kimber’s brain injury that occurred while SCUBA diving in the summer of 2006. She has many cognitive and physical difficulties resulting from this injury, and just last year she fractured some of her lower vertebrae, which made everyday activities even more difficult. After talking to Kimber for a few minutes, however, one sees that although these circumstances might make things difficult for her, she is committed to completing her schoolwork to reach her goals. Perhaps because of her experience overcoming her brain injury, Kimber has consistently gone over-and-above course requirements to perform well in her classes. Her lived experience with her injury situates her very for her intended field, as she can provide counseling from a lens of shared experience. Kimber is ready to make the jump to graduate-level courses, in which I surmise that her grit will continue to shine brightly. More than any student that I have known previously, Kimber has a clear goal for her future career. One of the hardest things to teach a mentee is that to succeed after college, they should make their future goals a part of their identity. I deeply treasure our discussions about her pursuit of her career goal to take a job in rehabilitation counseling, because she has so much to offer to that field. It is part of her identity. She hopes to help people who have had brain (and other) injuries like her own.

The last two fall semesters, Kimber was invited to attend a graduate school fair at CSU Channel Islands. Many graduate programs across the country came to this event, and Kimber knew that chances like this do not always come along. She was so excited about the trip. We met for several hours to discuss the seminars that she should attend, the questions she should ask, and how she should plan to get the most out of the trip. She even made sure that the travel accommodations were appropriate for her wheelchair. To say that she took the opportunity seriously would be an understatement. It is because Kimber knows what she wants to do with degree that she learned so much about the next step in her career. In my experience, classroom performance is not always the best predictor of success in graduate school. Instead students who take on extracurricular activities to pursue their interests seem to hit the ground running in graduate school. Kimber seeks out opportunities to growth and challenge herself. She puts her heart into this work.

For the past few months Kimber has worked as a research assistant in the SAP lab. Not every student in the SAP Lab is invited to work on projects using electroencephalographic (EEG) recording. In fact, most work on behavioral studies that do not use psychophysiological measures, and I require students to work in the lab for a full semester before I train them on EEG. Given Kimber’s interests in rehabilitation counseling, however, and her high attention to detail, she began monitoring the EEG recordings for a study on mindfulness and empathy. Kimber’s work has been impeccable. She has been a careful steward of our data and I hope that others look to her approach for leadership. Her responsibilities will most certainly grow this summer to incorporate sophisticated data analysis and leadership tasks. Kimber understands that the use of technology in rehabilitation counseling is increasingly important, and that the equipment in the SAP Lab offers a unique opportunity to use such technology.
Kimber is caring and other oriented. For the last two years we have met biweekly (and sometimes weekly), and she always takes time to check in how I am doing. As an early career faculty member, I’m usually too busy to think about how I’m doing, but Kimber listens to my ranting about all the things on my to do lists.

She cares. In the lab and in her studies, she is more focused on learning and mastery, as opposed to grades and praise. Kimber has a positive upbeat attitude, and it motivates me and her lab mates. She is truly a joy to work with, a leader by example, and good listener. She will be a great colleague and citizen to your program. If we could keep her in our lab we would! Should she be selected for your program, I am confident that Kimber would excel in her coursework and professional activities. It is obvious to me that she puts every ounce of her energy into pursuing her career, makes the most out of her opportunities, and does not let anything impede her progress. She is an exemplary student in our department, a capable and passionate citizen of her community, an outstanding candidate for your program. I offer my strongest support for her application.
Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.
Sincerely,
Daniel R. Berry, PhD | Assistant Professor Social and Affective Psychophysiology Laboratory | Department of Psychology California State University San Marcos | San Marcos, CA 92069

Those of you that knew Kimber Hawkins Thurman knew how much this program , and the lifelong friends she made there, meant to her.
❤

They are nothing less than the reason she got the skills, focus, and the confidence needed , to be able to return to collage and acquire her Bachelor's Degree in Psychology with the goal of helping others like her with an ABI ... Please remember her by contributing so others can follow her path
❤
:jump: love you Sweetie

Kimber team abi.jpg

The San Diego Brain Injury Foundation's walk to support ABI Programs is this weekend , I'm going in Kimber's memory, It's something we did every year :heart:

That these programs are free is important, it takes a long time to retrain your mind after such an injury, Kimber went for two years before she felt she could try collage again after her first attempt going back failed because of her ABI
They were absolutely instrumental in her getting her Bachelors Degree

Information / Donate ...
Kimber walk ABI.jpg

Kimber me.jpg

it was a nice day for the walk :)
I wore the old ABI shirt, her Think Pink button, and carried a bit of her with me .. it was good, fun, loved seeing members and sharing her story by telling Kimber Stories :)
I was told once again I need to write a book ... I really do :heart:

276160416_5727529210596598_6682245398513391200_n.jpg

Heike , teacher, administrator, and a life long friend to Kimber :heart:

276989026_5727485300600989_352874586029351858_n.jpg

276284095_5727977473885105_2571349631830242595_n.jpg

half way 1.65 miles .. Kimber never made it this far walking, not because she could not, (dude, she once spent 5 hours walking a desert trail , covering a total of 1 mile .. she had extreme determination & perseverance) ) it was due to the time needed to do it and get back in time for the raffle ..

277079144_5727979377218248_4685671408838449273_n.jpg

turning around was difficult for her to do , and when we did we might be the last ones coming across the finish line .. when they announced her name over the speakers and that she was approaching the finish, all crowding around and cheering her on .. brought her to tears .. it still does for me :heart:

276010918_5727530173929835_2934957380073151042_n.jpg

I haven’t logged in for a long time, I do today and see this… I am so sorry to read of her passing. Heartfelt condolences to her loved ones.

It's been 3 years today that you are gone from my life, but not from my heart
❤

What adventures we had! The memories I have, the stories I can (and do) tell , I am SO lucky to have had you in my life Sweetie! You made my life better , and not just mine, but for all those that knew you.
My purpose was to make your life better, to do whatever I could to help you with the incredible goals you had, the things you achieved, and to be the wings that allowed you to express your adventurous self :heart:

Today I went out for breakfast , like we often did .. and had mimosas , like we often did :jump:

276287361_5765987976750721_3835233599390622467_n.jpg

Oh My Goodness
Bradford who was a good friend of Kimber's at UCSSM just graduated with his Masters Degree .. he wore this cap, It's the same cap he wore 3 years ago at what would of been Kimber's graduation
😭:heart: :jump:

60332498_2750648158284733_5588880830198972416_n.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom