Temporary Crown ~

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cowdog77

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I had a cracked tooth and had a temporary crown placed today. Am I going to be able to dive with it? The dentist said there would be no air beneath the crown to expand and cause problems but she's not a diver so.................????

I've been diving for 2 months with 2 temp crowns right where I bite on the mouthpiece with no problems at all

I dived with temporary crowns but was concerned about infection and the risk of one of the crowns becoming loose. When I told my dentist what I was planning to do and was adamant about not missing my trip, he put me on antibiotics and gave me a little tube of whatever glue they used just in case it came loose and then gave strict instructions to irrigate several times a day. I was going on a liveaboard trip pretty far from any sort of dental office so it was good to have those emergency care items with me. The trip went well, no crown issues at all. One of the members in our group got a staph infection from diving in the ocean with a small cut, but since I was on antibiotics I wasn't infected with any nasty Gulf of Mexico funk.

I had a cracked tooth and had a temporary crown placed today. Am I going to be able to dive with it? The dentist said there would be no air beneath the crown to expand and cause problems but she's not a diver so.................????

I can't see any issue that the temporary crown would cause. It could be somewhat more sensitive to air/cold however. Depending on the tooth, and the amount of retention provided, you may need to be careful not to dislodge it while diving. Antibiotics would have ZERO consideration here and in my opinion are way over prescribed in dentistry. For cases such as described (not wanting to miss diving/etc), I tend to use more retentive 'temporary' cements.

I've only heard of one instance of a person having issues with diving and a temporary crown, it had come loose because of the regulator mouthpiece. A quick trip to the dentist took care of it.

I've only heard of one instance of a person having issues with diving and a temporary crown, it had come loose because of the regulator mouthpiece. A quick trip to the dentist took care of it.

I have quite a few patients who live on some of 'Gulf' islands between Vancouver island and the mainland. One of them managed to dislodge a temporary crown (on a molar), and on my advice used a denture adhesive to put it back on. I had to section that temporary crown to get it off (under local anesthetic)--it wouldn't budge.

I have quite a few patients who live on some of 'Gulf' islands between Vancouver island and the mainland. One of them managed to dislodge a temporary crown (on a molar), and on my advice used a denture adhesive to put it back on. I had to section that temporary crown to get it off (under local anesthetic)--it wouldn't budge.

Interesting. Is it possible that my friend's temporary crown wasn't properly applied? I don't know anything about them, that's why I'm asking.

Do find out what you will need to do if you pop off the temporary and are no where near a dentist.

I popped off a temporary crown and it was not a fun feeling, but fortunately, I only had to drive from work immediately to my dentist.

I can't imagine going several days in a remote location with a bare nerve or the like.

Sadly I have more experience than I would like with crowns. I have one that chronically falls off - even after being "permanently" cemented (it was a NIGHTMARE when it was a temporary). Dentist has never expressed concern of having if "open" for a couple days (why do these things always happen on friday night?) before re-cementing. I get the impression the remaining tooth under the crown is fully sealed so other than the fact that its pointy and feels wierd, there's no medical issue with having it off for a short time.

I've never heard of using denture adhesive to temporarily re-cement but it makes sense. They also sell a product called Dentemp OS for temporary filling replacement and crown cementing and it's available at any pharmacy. I've used it with moderate success though i don't think I'd dive with it as it's a bit thick - think wood putty - so there is a chance of air under there. If you are concerned - you could always buy it and bring it with you - it's a tiny little container

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom