Temporary Crown ~

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi cowdog77,

In answer to your original question. Whether your cracked tooth will be a problem depends on a couple of things: 1) The severity and nature of the crack and 2) If the crack communicates with the tooth pulp (nerve).

Hopefully, your tooth is feeling OK with the temporary in place. That being said, if the dentist wasn't able to remove all the cracked tooth during preparation... and sometimes it is not... there is the potential that your breathing air, under pressure can permeate the tiny space within the crack. This could cause pain.

If the crack is into or even near the nerve, there is the possibility that the health of the nerve within the tooth is compromised and during a dive, this tissue becomes symptomatic.

Either one of these outcomes is UNLIKELY. Barodontalgia is a very rare occurrence. However, it can happen and if it does, it is very painful. Discontinue all diving if it happens.

Of greater concern to me is the temporary crown. It is called a temporary because it is meant to be there a short time and then easily removed to place the permanent crown. Temporary crowns do come off. The concern is one of aspiration underwater. If it comes loose and you are taking a deep breath, you can inhale the temporary into the lungs and this can send you to the hospital for removal or worse. Typically, temporary crowns cannot be seen on X-rays.

If you have a loose temporary, and you must dive, it is safer to dive WITHOUT the temporary if you are not in pain. This can be done but you can expect the tooth to be sensitive to the cold air as you inhale. If your tooth is tooth is too sensitive you will not be able to dive. Replace it between dives to prevent tooth movement or overgrowth of your gums onto the prepared tooth.

The DenTemp is a good idea and can be used successfully if used properly. I carry it on dive trips for temporary fillings if one should come loose. Since scuba-diving is not recommended with temporary crowns, you should not rely on this or any other temporary cement to adequately retain your temporary.

DO NOT DIVE WITH A LOOSE TEMPORARY OR ONE THAT IS CEMENTED WITH DENTURE ADHESIVE! This would be asking for an inhaled tooth and hospitalization at your dive destination or a drowning risk.

All of these possible bad outcomes have been reported in the literature. They are a rare occurrence and neither I nor any dentist can advise you to dive with a temporary crown. The decision is yours to make and the responsibility is yours.

Be safe

Hello cowdog77:

I was planning to say that I see little problem, but....wow. So many thanks to all of the responders to this message. :D

I tell my dentist I'm going diving, no matter what, and then he uses a permanent adhesive rather than a temporary adhesive. It's less fun (i.e., more work for him and more discomfort for me) after the trip when he removes the temporary crown and cements in the permanent one, but it works. Every time,, Over many years.

I've only heard of one instance of a person having issues with diving and a temporary crown, it had come loose because of the regulator mouthpiece. A quick trip to the dentist took care of it.

Exactly the same thing happened to me. Luckily, I was diving with my dentist!

I don't know about crowns but I ran into a major problem with a filling one time. We had been down to about 110 feet and were on our way back up. We hovered at a couple of quicky deco stops along the way and I started feeling pain in a tooth at about 50 foot. I kept trying to go up but the pain was incredible so I went back to 60 foot or so. After a second failed attempt, I wrote a note to my partner to just keep an eye an me because I was low on air and was just going to force it.

The pain was like a spike in my jaw but then there was a loud pop and the pain from my tooth was gone. But, now I had pain in my cheek and tongue. I also had a mouthful of small fragments. A filling had literally blown out and took part of the tooth with it. it cut my cheek and tongue when it blew. The Dentist said it must have already been going bad and leaked pressure under it but plugged up with debris on the way to the surface. Then it pressurized until it blew up.

Flying is a bigger risk if you have trapped air in a temp crown, as it will try and push the crown off due to pressure differential. I had this issue on a temp filing and it was not pleasant, had to go to a dentist in Germany who drilled a small hole so flying back it would balance the pressure.

I am asking the same question and wondering if these answers are still in line with todays dental processes
My dentist has a dental CNC mill that sinters a permanent crown on the initial visit so no need for a temporary crown. In fact, when I chipped off part of a crown after biting on a bone, he took a look, and had me come back in a couple of days as he still had the file and remade the crown with his hardest material. Reinstalling took 15 minutes, of which most of it was removing the broken crown.

Back
Top Bottom