Teric owners, have you required repair or replacement service?

Teric owners, have you required repair or replacemant service?

• No

Votes: 82 45.3%
  • Yes, repair

Votes: 35 19.3%
  • Yes, replacement

Votes: 16 8.8%
  • Yes, multiple repair and/or replacement

Votes: 38 21.0%
  • Other, see post

Votes: 10 5.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:rofl3: "Fabulous computer when it's working", who could argue with that. See also "beautiful vehicle when it doesn't accelerate into a wall of its own volition", "excellent airliner when doesn't fall out of the sky", and "a great boat when she doesn't sink with all hands".
Really it would be similar to a vehicle not getting estimated mpg or EV not hitting max range. Both are probably true of most cars.

What 'repairs' do you need if all it takes is a battery charge?

Repairing it so that it meets the manufacturer's specifications - which includes only needing a top-up charge once every 6 months when stored.

Then why all the repairs and replacements?
If you’re scared stick with the brick :)

there seems to have been a batch of bad batteries at the beginning and that can still happen, there were a few odd antenna problems and a few one of a kind issues it seems but the majority were battery issues not that I’m aware of any that would account for a dive lost but just a more frequent recharge. If there weren’t such great reaction from shearwater it would be much less tolerable. Most computer companies will make you go through the dealer that you bought it from and strictly enforce warranty time limits, most turn around times from major brands will be a month at best, with shearwater it’s days and they will, as has been attested to here more than once, ship a loaner/replacement to where you expect to be. It’s world class support, truly it would be better if there were no issues and we never knew how good they are with issues but they step up and work to provide a better product.

Please note that SB members are (1) more likely than run-of-the-mill divers to have purchased a Teric, (2) are more likely to post any issues, especially since it is such a hot topic, and (3) probably dive more than non-SB folks. So, in terms of the percentage of Terics that actually have problems, I'm not sure what you see is representative of the numerator and we have no knowledge of the denominator. I do know that at least 6 of my diving friends have Terics, and none have mentioned any problems, nor are they in the poll for this thread.

What 'repairs' do you need if all it takes is a battery charge?

Since it's a Li-Ion rechargeable, if it doesn't hold the charge as per the vendor's specs, it's likely sub-standard. You know, the kind that catches fire when charged maybe?

Since it's a Li-Ion rechargeable, if it doesn't hold the charge as per the vendor's specs, it's likely sub-standard. You know, the kind that catches fire when charged maybe?
There have been no reports of this; so, maybe not.

I have never needed a repair or replacement for a teric or perdix ai, perdix 2. I would guess SB is not a solid sample size.

Because the vast majority of problems that people have reported have all been simply that the battery does not hold a charge for as long as Shearwater says it should when it's stored.
Is there a recommended protocol for battery charging and storing? I know on cellphones the life of the Li-ion battery can be extended greatly by keeping the charge level between 20% to 80%, i.e. don't discharge below 20% or charge above 80%. Storage at around 50% is also recommended with recharge to that level every 3 months.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom