Terrific Accommodation on Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yeah i completely understand. I was in your boat before i went there a month or so ago. I had a hell of a time understanding the island and the different locations. I read all the books and looked at all the forums and in the end i had to take a wild guess. None of the info really answered all my questions. That and it costs so much to go, so I wanted to make sure everything was right. Let me know if there is anything i can help you with.

My wife and I are so stoked. We have booked our place from July 31 thru Aug 7. I will post a trip report afterwards. If anyone is going to be around that week lets us know. It would be great to have a drink with some fellow scuba board folks. (I'm also going to start a new thread about dive outfits and get some feedback/suggestions).

Having never been to Bonaire, it's all so abstract when you research through Tripadvisor and the like. To hear the opinions expressed here really helps those of us trying to figure it all out before we go.

I'll try to bang out a few basics for a Bonaire visit; this is not specific to your own resort choice or arrangements. Just a scattering of thoughts from my 4 trips.

The island is shaped vaguely like a kidney, only skinnier. A road runs around the perimeter of the island; this is the main road you'll use to travel to different dive sites. The dive sites are mainly on the western side of the island, so the island acts as a barrier against waves from the Atlantic Ocean striking the east coast.

Most folks do mainly shore diving. There's rough broken coral and some fixed pieces along shore & into the water, and some of it is uneven and can be jagged. With the added weight of gear, this can hurt your feet wearing regular thin-soled scuba boots. So you need medium or heavy soles. My little group uses (& loves) SeaSoft SunRays, which use an athletic sole, resemble sneakers and are comfortable. Walk into the water until you're in waist deep before putting your fins on; take them off on your way out in waist deep water, too. Do not don fins on the shore & attempt to duck walk in.

Because you can dive as often as you like on your own schedule, often with an 'all you can dive' style 'tank buffet' approach, get Nitrox certified before you go, if you're not already. Cuts down on surface intervals & can increase bottom time, depending on what you're doing.

The southern part of the island is more of a 'flat land' & you can see up & down the shoreline for a long ways. The northern part of the island is hilly & bushy. That road around the island has a 'one way' stretch up north, so if you hit the farther north dive sites it's a little more complicated getting back.

The capital city, Kralendijk, is pretty much the only city for practical purposes. You will drive here for groceries & to eat out & get a few souvenirs.

Your flight will land at Flamingo International Airport. It's semi-open, not cool inside, and getting your bags will get a bit sweaty. The car rental 'row' is in a building across from the airport. One of your party should rush for it while the rest are getting the bags (assuming nobody has arranged pickup & what-not for you). You will drive to your resort and check in. Odds are you'll settle in, then the next morning attend a dive briefing at your resort. Someone will do a check-out buoyancy control dive with you. You'll pay for a marine park tag; keep the receipt, since it'll get you into Washington-Slagbaii Park for free & you'll want to drive through one day. Now, you'll spend the week driving around trying different dive sites.

Groceries are expensive. You'll probably buy them at Warehouse Boniare or Cultimara. Plan to 'eat in' for breakfast & lunch, and eat out in the evening - which will be somewhat pricey. I like City Cafe', BonAppetit', Wil's Grill and some other places.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom