Texas Flower Gardens pet peeves.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't urinate off the side of the boat! On my last trip there was a guy that kept urinating off the side of the boat in front of everybody.....

Interesting that some of the crew observed his behavior but said nothing. Probably because they never encountered a situation like this...

SteveDiver:
Don't urinate off the side of the boat! On my last trip there was a guy that kept urinating off the side of the boat in front of everybody.....

Interesting that some of the crew observed his behavior but said nothing. Probably because they never encountered a situation like this...

Holy C@%! I sure would of said something to him!!!

Well, I'd say, drink lots of water, brush up on your nav skills, wear gloves (the mooring lines and down lines can get rough, and if you have to pull your way down, it'll hurt you after two dives.) Also, stay the h*** off the bottom (I hate reef crawlers) and the sea sickness meds are always a good idea. Other than that, bring an underwater camera, and have a good time!

• When boarding have one person take 2 personal items and secure your bunks, while the other stakes a claim on two spots on the dive deck. I would suggest on the outside rows, if you're on the inside rows you wind up fighting everyone's wetsuits.
  • After getting all your stuff on board, go make your bunk. Everyone else will be on the dive deck putting gear together, after making you bunk then set-up you tank/BC/reg, everything else can wait till morning, then check in with paperwork, C-card, safety sausage. You'll be behind the rush.
  • Take two towels
  • I had a small dry bag on deck that I put my shorts and t-shirt in while diving, came in handy for when everyone gets back on board wet.
  • At the aft rail there are two exhaust hoods that come from the lower deck (also double as seats) warm dry air blows from these, after diving set your booties under there, they'll be dry as a bone in no time. Also great for keeping warm if you're drying off and it's a little chilly.
  • If there is a current swim into it from the mooring line and stay low in the coral troughs, you won't have to fight as much then just raise up and drift back.
  • There are 3 down lines with weights attached, two at the aft and one from the side (midship) down to about 30' if there is little or no current use these to ascend on and do your safety stop. They are much less crowded than the mooring/side line, also the side line moves up and down a lot with everyone on it so it's hard to maintain 15'.
  • On the East and West Banks you don't have to venture a long way from the Mooring line to see a lot (especially if your navigation skills aren't the best) there's lot's of nooks and crannies that the fish are in and out of; your average depth will be around 75' for the dives and remember to look up in the water column, the Hammerhead I saw was on the way back about 60' from the mooring line.

Just a pair of good fitting 2MM or less reef gloves are great for handling the lines.

I also liked the tip on drying your booties underneath the camera table by the bench. I discovered that by accident last year.

and lastly....

What boat was the guy on that they urinated over the side? Find it VERY hard to believe Melanie ( Spree) wouldn't have said something if that happen on her boat. Jeez man what is wrong with people? Pee in your wetsuit like the rest of us. :bash:

daniel f aleman:
Don't go if you get seasick - you'll want to die after two hours out from the dock. Get your sealegs before (on other crafts)...

how one develops sealegs. I have been offshore on several dozen liveaboards, multiple research trips, and countless pleasure craft. I am still prone to motion sickness and rely on medication to avoid problems while at sea.

My father was in the Navy for 6 years on a variety of ships and never developed an immunity to seasickness.

Kinda silly advice IMO.

Lukiedukie:
Okay what sort of gloves? Just my henderson gloves or something more robust

For warm water, I use the waterskiing gloves from Walmart. They last a year or two including diving the San Marcos river which often involves a lot of use as you grab things to slow your descent or attempt to move against the current.

cyklon_300:
how one develops sealegs. I have been offshore on several dozen liveaboards, multiple research trips, and countless pleasure craft. I am still prone to motion sickness and rely on medication to avoid problems while at sea.

My father was in the Navy for 6 years on a variety of ships and never developed an immunity to seasickness.

Kinda silly advice IMO.

NASA trains astronauts to reduce the effects of motion sickness. Some folks seem to be cronic chuckers and just need to stay off of boats (and space craft). Other's tendency to become sick can be altered. My wife/buddy was pretty bad at first but I'm convinced some of it was psychosomatic. Now she is better until conditions get pretty severe. Even then the meds help. I've never been seasick, including a couple pretty rough trip to FGB, but the right program at an Imax theater sets up my senses conflict and could get me chucking. Thankfully, just looking at the edge of the screen for 15 seconds settles it back down.

awap:
I've never been seasick, including a couple pretty rough trip to FGB, but the right program at an Imax theater sets up my senses conflict and could get me chucking. Thankfully, just looking at the edge of the screen for 15 seconds settles it back down.

You weren't the person that had the upchuck reflexes at Deep Sea 3D in the 6ish showing the opening Saturday on the left side of the theatre, were you? That had to be one of the more interesting announcements I've heard in a theatre: "I apologize, but someone lost their lunch on the left side of the theatre, so if you can, I'd go to the right and find seats..." Soon there after followed by a round of applause for the poor soul that had to clean it up!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom