Texas LCRA Lakes Temporarily Closed 10/15/18 Until Further Notice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

George Monnat Jr

Divemaster (DM)
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
One of the Scubaland instructors just sent this out.

This statement is found on the LCRA website:

LCRA is closing lakes Travis, Marble Falls, LBJ, Inks and Buchanan effective immediately, until further notice. Floodgate operations are underway at Wirtz Dam, which forms Lake LBJ, and Starcke Dam, which forms Lake Marble Falls. Take immediate action to protect people and property that may be affected. Water will be moving fast, and will be higher than usual at the upper end of lakes LBJ, Marble Falls and Travis. LCRA's Flood Operations Report has more information about current conditions in the Highland Lakes. Check LCRA's Hydromet for rainfall totals, stream flow and lake levels.

LCRA

Well, so much for diving Travis this weekend with the SMU AOW class. We were supposed to do down and help DM but looks like we'll have to come up with an alternate plan. Thanks for posting this George!

If I recall correctly, it was reported that Lake Travis went up 18' today and more flooding is expected.

From what I read on the LCRA website yesterday, they were expecting it to rise about 1 ft/hr, which is pretty phenomenal. They expected to have four flood gates open by 6:00 pm but I didn't check after about 4:00. Not sure if we're planning to dive somewhere else for DM training or if we're just postponing it since it's kind of short notice. We have classroom on Wednesdays but I won't be there tonight as I have other plans so I'll have to find out from one of my classmates.

Prayers for all those in the CenTex area experiencing flooding and damage. Stay Safe!

Llano/Kingston bridge:
Lake Travis went up over 20' yesterday and is currently more than 16' above full. It may endanger the office at Windy Point Park which would really suck.

Lake Travis, yesterday midnight to midnight, rose 24.93 feet or about a foot an hour to 16.85 feet above full with water being dumped from upstream lakes and more rain in the forecast. They may have to flood Lake Austin and Lady Bird/Town Lake to prevent excessive flooding in Travis. The Mansfield Dam tail, the downstream side, is already about 7 feet higher than average.

I just talked to Richard, the owner of Windy Point Park (best shore diving on Lake Travis). He said he's pulling his home and belongings up across the street. He won't have electricity for credit cards and the air station may be underwater, but he'll still take cash and let us do some historic diving. I jokingly said we could giant stride from our pickup beds. I may do a dive or two this weekend, depending on conditions (flow should be safe, no lightning), just to support him and for bragging rights. Anyone's welcome to join me.

I just talked to Richard, the owner of Windy Point Park (best shore diving on Lake Travis). He said he's pulling his home and belongings up across the street. He won't have electricity for credit cards and the air station may be underwater, but he'll still take cash and let us do some historic diving. I jokingly said we could giant stride from our pickup beds. I may do a dive or two this weekend, depending on conditions (flow should be safe, no lightning), just to support him and for bragging rights. Anyone's welcome to join me.
Didn't LCRA close the lake though? I mean I get that the site would be private property but the lake is still public and owned by the state right?

As for us, the trip has officially been cancelled so if I dive at all I'll be helping another instructor with an OW class here locally. And I fully expect that it will be raining all weekend provided there isn't any lightning out there like there was during our first dive this past Saturday morning. It's a little different seeing lightning flashes 26' underwater. Most of the 11 students didn't notice, though.

I don't know the exact ruling for that or about diving on his flooded property without going into the lake proper. There'll be about 20' of water over his lot to dive around and see his stuff underwater. He has an F-4 (subscale) he's been meaning to submerge, so I could be the first to see it underwater.

Back
Top Bottom