Texas Spearfishing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I guess you can count me in that group. I'll be picking up my new gun soon from hydrosports in LJ. I'm hoping to dive the s padre jetties when I get it if you're interested in going there.

gnominic:
I guess you can count me in that group. I'll be picking up my new gun soon from hydrosports in LJ. I'm hoping to dive the s padre jetties when I get it if you're interested in going there.

Where you one of the people that went in to get a gun and they had just sold out last weeks.

I am not spearing yet even thou I have been offered by a few people to show me how. I am waiting until I go thru the "Underwater Hunter" course with Mike (Hydrosports Scuba) first. Plus by goign thru the course I am hoping to try out a few different guns. Hopefully I can make a few rigs dives this weekend cause I want to be really comfortable rig diving before I spear my first fish.

I did just order it but Mike doesn't carry it so I woulda had to special order anyway. I am not waiting on Mikes underwater hunter class because 1) I will probably be at work and 2) I've got started with a pole spear so I got some time carrying cocking and shooting... So I'm pretty prepared for it. On top of that I ordered a fairly small gun that should be easy to handle. I highly recommend starting with the pole spear. its very instructive. I'm lucky in that I dive the rigs a lot at work. its a bigger difference than it appears.... still you have more dives than me so maybe you're ready for more than you think. does Mike have a class scheduled yet? I don't think he does.

Welcome to ScubaBoard gnominic, I agree with you about the polespears. They are a great way to get acclimated to handling fishing while monitoring depth/gas not to mention getting you used to depth perception, cocking, aiming and popping :D

I would also be interestd in the course. Is Hydrosports the Lake Jackson shop? I lloked here but did not see the course.

gnominic:

You need to read up un Texas law before hitting South Padre. You can't spear game fish wich includes most fish people want to eat inside of Texas waters (9nm offshore)

Randy

Friends and I talk about getting a spear gun all the time... at least every time we dive. I think its just a matter of time before I buy a "underwater sling shot". Living in N.E. Texas there are only a few fish that are legal to spear. The fishing is good in Oklahoma lakes but the laws are about the same. The ones I'd like to bag are off limits.
Still, the idea of it all seems fun. I could get plenty of fish.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom