TG6 with DS51's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anchorsz

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm considering the TG6 as my first camera, upgrading from my iPhone with the Kraken housing, with a pair of the DS51 strobes.

Anyone running this setup and have feedback? I'll be looking to do both macro and wide angle with a dome port on the Ikelite housing.

Thanks!

B

Why DS51 specifically? TG6 only does optical triggering, and DS51s are electric-only, so you will need an RC1 receiver ($150) for each strobe. Sea & Sea YS-01 Solis is similar to DS51 in features, but less bulky and has native fiber optics. It also has separate dials for mode and power, so if you're shooting TTL, you can use the power knob for up/down compensation.

I'm also not convinced in the utility of a dry dome port with a TG6. I don't use a TG6 myself, but its microscope mode relies on getting very close to the subject, and a dome will limit that, while not providing much utility for wide-angle, as the 25mm-equivalent FL is not particularly wide. An M52 or M67 threaded flat port with a proper wet lens will give you better capability in both wide-angle and macro.

You will need video lights if using the TG6 for video.

I'd recommend the Inon S2000's for strobes with that camera, not sure if @David Haas still has some for sale or a recommendation on a good place to get them. I believe they've also just been discontinued as a replacement model is supposed to arrive soon. I put two of them on ball arms connected to the tray that the camera is mounted on, and a video light on the cold shoe of the housing. But that's because I do mainly stills. If I was doing more video I'd probably have the video light also on a ball arm.

Why DS51 specifically? TG6 only does optical triggering, and DS51s are electric-only, so you will need an RC1 receiver ($150) for each strobe. Sea & Sea YS-01 Solis is similar to DS51 in features, but less bulky and has native fiber optics. It also has separate dials for mode and power, so if you're shooting TTL, you can use the power knob for up/down compensation.

I'm also not convinced in the utility of a dry dome port with a TG6. I don't use a TG6 myself, but its microscope mode relies on getting very close to the subject, and a dome will limit that, while not providing much utility for wide-angle, as the 25mm-equivalent FL is not particularly wide. An M52 or M67 threaded flat port with a proper wet lens will give you better capability in both wide-angle and macro.
Thanks for the reply, I am exploring different strobes but when putting together the first package its a big investment with camera, housing, strobes, lenses, etc. I'm trying not to get in too much trouble with the initial outlay and will upgrade components as I outgrow them. The DS51's were a good price! I'll look at the YS-01's.

The dry dome would be for split shots which I'd like to try but I do take your point on the impact. I'll look at the wet WA lens.

You will need video lights if using the TG6 for video.
Thanks, I already have a Kraken 5000+ which I'd add for video in addition to the strobes. Would this be sufficient? I've been using it on my iphone housing so far.

The DS51's were a good price! I'll look at the YS-01's.
DS51 and YS-01 are priced almost identically on their own, but for DS51s you also need to factor in the cost of RC1 receivers.

The dry dome would be for split shots which I'd like to try but I do take your point on the impact. I'll look at the wet WA lens.
In my experience, the opportunities to shoot good over/unders, i.e. occasions where you have something interesting above the surface, and at shallow depth below the surface, at the same time, are quite rare - far more so than instances where one is set up for macro and something big like a whale shark comes along, or you're geared up for wide-angle and the guide finds a cool macro critter.

I have a TG-6 and I have used YS-01, DS-51, and Backscatter MF-1 strobes.

For TTL use, the DS-51/RC-1 has always provided better results for me than the YS-01 in TTL mode. With the RC-1/DS-51 combination, you set the TG-6 flash mode to “RC” mode. Do you need TTL shooting? Not really, but I like multiple tools in my tool belt and there are cases where TTL can be quicker than manual strobe settings…some times you only get that one chance for the great shot.

The YS-01 results using TTL were so variable, I ended up using the strobes in manual mode. I eventually sold them. The Backscatter MF-1 only operates in manual mode.

My personal experience is “if” you see yourself using TTL, the DS-51 with RC-1 using “RC” flash mode on the TG-6 will provide great results. Backscatter has released a new strobe, the MF-2, which also supports the TG-6 “RC” mode, but I have not used that strobe. But it is something to consider.

For TTL use, the DS-51/RC-1 has always provided better results for me than the YS-01 in TTL mode. With the RC-1/DS-51 combination, you set the TG-6 flash mode to “RC” mode. Do you need TTL shooting? Not really, but I like multiple tools in my tool belt and there are cases where TTL can be quicker than manual strobe settings…some times you only get that one chance for the great shot.

The YS-01 results using TTL were so variable, I ended up using the strobes in manual mode. I eventually sold them. The Backscatter MF-1 only operates in manual mode.

My personal experience is “if” you see yourself using TTL, the DS-51 with RC-1 using “RC” flash mode on the TG-6 will provide great results. Backscatter has released a new strobe, the MF-2, which also supports the TG-6 “RC” mode, but I have not used that strobe. But it is something to consider.
I’m here from Google - have you figured out a way to get microscope mode to work with your mf1 light automatically? I have the mf2 and I’ve been using it for the first time over the past few days but shots are super underexposed in microscope mode. Tomorrow I’m going to try manual power settings, but at this point I’m a little unsure what I’m doing.

Agree, proper RC TTL with Olympus is miles better than standard TTL you get in INON, Sea & Sea strobes (except new YS-D3 Duo)

Options with RC is the Ikelite TTL Converters (which as OP just bought DS 51's is a $300 solution that will work great) This is what I would do if already bought the DS 51's, which are solid small strobes. They also come with Ikelite's famous cust service

Others to consider

Olympus UFL-3's (they are still somewhat around and range in price, you "should" be able to get around $350-400 each). I would not recommend these unles syou get in really good condition or new for less than $200 per. Recycle is slow compared to newer options, newer options also have easier to get accessories like snoots.
AOI Q1 RC at $365 each (which are actually really solid strobes and some are getting good wide angle coverage with). If money is an issue, and if dealer OP got is also an AOI dealers, would say see if can return DS51's and get these instead and some money back versus spending more. That said, AOI service is not going to match Ikelite if you need it.
Backscatter MF-2 at $399 each (which is great macro but even with 2 slightly less power and angle than AOI , not really a wide angle solution) See picture AOI on left, MF-2 on right, not the flash tube and reflector sizes are different.
20240214_153444.jpg

The new Sea & Sea YS-D3 Duo at $849 each, complete and utter overkill for the TG6 IMHO (but if you plan to go to bigger cameras later, you will be glad got now)

Back
Top Bottom